Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is making some major improvements to the Find My app in iOS 15, making it easier to keep track of your Apple devices and AirTags.

FindMy-Feature.jpg

With the Find My network, Apple says that you can locate devices even after they've been turned off, a feature that's helpful if a missing device is stolen and disabled or if a lost device has a low battery.

It's not clear how this feature works, but it likely will show the last known location that your device was known to be at.

Apple also says that the Find My network paired with Activation Lock can locate a lost device even after it's been erased, so thieves will not be able to wipe your device to disable tracking.

To ensure that nobody is tricked into buying a stolen device that's still locked to your Apple ID, the Hello screen will clearly show that your device is locked, locatable, and still owned by someone else.

Article Link: iOS 15 Find My App Lets You Find Devices That Are Turned Off or Erased

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Won't help if they stick it in a Faraday cage to block all signals. But it is getting less and less appealing to steal. I wonder which phones this will work on.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Doesn't it already work that way? If the lost device is turned off, it will show its last location and not just say that it's offline?

Or this new feature in iOS 15 will actually still track the device even when it's off?

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
The only thing I like that Android has that iOS doesn't is the ability to be able to pay for transit/NFC even if the phone is off i.e. battery dies. Maybe this will change that? It's more NFC/Secure Enclave related though. I've literally had to turn off my phone and/or run to make sure I could pay using NFC at the next station. I always leave with a full charge, but if you're filming video for hours it drops to zero pretty quickly. Not sure why they can't do this even with the SEP.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
The only thing I like that Android has that iOS doesn't is the ability to be able to pay for transit/NFC even if the phone is off i.e. battery dies. Maybe this will change that? It's more NFC/Secure Enclave related though. I've literally had to turn off my phone and/or run to make sure I could pay using NFC at the next station. I always leave with a full charge, but if you're filming video for hours it drops to zero pretty quickly. Not sure why they can't do this even with the SEP.
You can if you designate it as your Express Transit Card in Wallet.

Reactions: matrix07

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
These guys really have the best engineers in the world. Hopefully they'll find a way to make a calculator app on the iPad.
Right. I had to download a clone app. I can see why they don’t do it. It works mostly the same but because of the size of the device it awkward to use.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Doesn't it already work that way? If the lost device is turned off, it will show its last location and not just say that it's offline?

Or this new feature in iOS 15 will actually still track the device even when it's off?
It will track it while off or even wiped

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
These guys really have the best engineers in the world. Hopefully they'll find a way to make a calculator app on the iPad.
I don’t just want a calculator app, I want it to be a pop up overlay like the Apple TV remote is on iPad. That would allow you to pull it up over whatever else on your screen you might want to reference.

67EC7907-4B8C-4050-8568-997C2C17AD69.jpeg

00917AD0-3837-4765-923D-BA4C6C9E8C85.jpeg

Last edited:

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
I love this move by Apple, even better that apple extends this to older devices like the Mini 4 and Air 2????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.