Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobdobalina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
When importing photos from my 11 Pro Max to my M2 Macbook Pro the import stalls after several hundred photos. I have to unplug the phone and start over every single time. I select "Import All" each time. It often hangs and won't import anything, or it imports a handful and then stops. I'me trying to import around 200 GB of photos and videos, but the most I've been able to do at a time is around 1000 images. What am I doing wrong? I don't want/refuse to use iCloud.

OS up to date on both devices. I've been trying to clear the memory on the iPhone for months. I've tried both iPhoto and Lightroom with the same result. I can only ever get a handful of images off the phone at a time.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Even web servers will choke on gigantic uploads of zillions of files.
You’re transferring too many file and too much data in one go.

Divide it up into smaller bite sized chunks and do it in batches. Not all at once.

Reactions: bobdobalina

bobdobalina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Even web servers will choke on gigantic uploads of zillions of files.
You’re transferring too many file and too much data in one go.

Divide it up into smaller bite sized chunks and do it in batches. Not all at once.
I'll give it a shot.

But what's actually choking, the mac, the iPhone, the Lightning controller maybe? I ask because there's never an issue with transferring hundreds of GBs of images from an SD card for example.

Also, would I still have this issue if my phone was a USB-C model instead of Lightning?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.