Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013

iCloud Photos - via Mac - HEIF​

Setup -

2 iphones using camera roll back up to a combined one drive storage account.

One Drive photos downloaded to a Mac - set up under a profile of a third family member.

One Drive photos uploaded to iCloud photos via Safari

Questions -

• why will HEIC photos not upload, these images were taken on Apple devices?
  • Is it correct that I would need to import the photos from One Drive to Photos app on the Mac before uploading to the cloud? Is this possible if I dont want to add them to the Photo library of who the Mac is set up for?
  • is this the same for QT movies?
  • is the only way to guarantee the cloud upload of 1000s photos and videos buying a mac and setting up under my own profile?

Thanks

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009

iCloud Photos - via Mac - HEIF​

Setup -

2 iphones using camera roll back up to a combined one drive storage account.

One Drive photos downloaded to a Mac - set up under a profile of a third family member.

One Drive photos uploaded to iCloud photos via Safari

Questions -

• why will HEIC photos not upload, these images were taken on Apple devices?
  • Is it correct that I would need to import the photos from One Drive to Photos app on the Mac before uploading to the cloud? Is this possible if I dont want to add them to the Photo library of who the Mac is set up for?
  • is this the same for QT movies?
  • is the only way to guarantee the cloud upload of 1000s photos and videos buying a mac and setting up under my own profile?

Thanks
I don't the answer but as an alternative solution, did you know that iCloud Photos in the photos app setting on your iPhone has a shared library option which would work for sharing or creating one large library for all the family. you can pick and choose what gets added in.

My set up is we have a family shares iCloud account with 2TB storage and we all have our individual photo accounts but then for key events etc we just add a shared album that we can all see and then download to our own libraries if we want.

Reactions: Ben1980

Ben1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
This was part of our aim - to have a shared library that we put all the kids pics in etc.

The mac we have is set up under our childs Apple ID and I was a bit conscious adding all the photos there. She does things so quick I dont want her risking deleting some pics.

Right now very few pics/videos on the phones. Its almost 500gb on One Drive that I am looking for a full proof way of getting all files to iCloud before we choose to delete One Drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.