Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

owidhh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2021
So I installed an iPad app, and it asked me for access to Photos so that it could save a photo. I refused (my automatic reflex is to always refuse permission requests when I'm in a hurry) but later decided it would be OK for the app to save images (not read photos). Great!

I cannot find a way to reset or change this permission.

In the app's settings, I can see notification, HomeKit and Location settings. In the Settings App, Under Privacy and Security, under Photos, I cannot see this app and I cannot see the usual "+" button to manually add an app there.

I've also deleted the app and reinstalled it but that has not changed permissions, nor has it deleted any app data actually...

I'm not sure how else I can add/remove permissions to iPad apps running on macOS?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I think this a bug or oversight in macOS. The apps don't show up in 'Privacy & Security' even if you do grant access to add to your photo library.

You can reset this a couple ways through Terminal.

To reset all apps from adding to your Photo Library, run: tccutil reset PhotosAdd

To reset only this app, run tccutil reset PhotosAdd <BundleId> (without angle brackets).
This article shows you how you can find the app's Bundle ID.

• Love
Reactions: owidhh

owidhh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2021
I think this a bug or oversight in macOS. The apps don't show up in 'Privacy & Security' even if you do grant access to add to your photo library.

You can reset this a couple ways through Terminal.

To reset all apps from adding to your Photo Library, run: tccutil reset PhotosAdd

To reset only this app, run tccutil reset PhotosAdd <BundleId> (without angle brackets).
This article shows you how you can find the app's Bundle ID.

Hey what do you know, that worked! The trick with codesign, to find the Bundle ID, was to realize that /Applications doesn't show me all apps but I need to use /System/Volumes/Data/Applications/ to see user-installed apps such as iPad apps etc.

Combined with tccutil I could reset the permissions! thanks @iStorm !!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.