Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I understand that this question has been asked in the past, but I am just trying to find out if maybe someone came up with a new terminal command, a 3rd party application, etc that can do this.

What I want is simple:

Dock.jpg

I want the dock to be always on top and the windows to be always behind the dock.

The reason for this is that when the dock is always there, but under the open windows, it uses up precious screen space. And the dock being transparent and small, you can still see part of the content in the open window. Especially on the 12" MacBook this would be very helpful to maximise your usable screen. Also, I use the dock a lot for app switching and opening new apps as in many cases it's the quickest way for me (Command + TAB isn't quick when you have multiple apps and windows open and LaunchPad is definitely slower than the dock).

When the dock is using auto hide it takes a little bit more time to wait for the dock to popup before you can click on an application (next to the fact it takes longer for your eyes to find the app you want to click). I've already updated the animation with the following code to make it quicker, but I'd rather have it on screen all the time:

defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-delay -int 0
defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-time-modifier -float 0.8
killall Dock

MacOS is made in a way that windows automatically resize above the dock and never behind it. You can actually achieve it by turning on auto hide, then make you screen fill from top to bottom and then unhide the dock again. However you have to do this every time you start your computer or when you open a new application or window.

So I was just wondering if there is a way to permanently make the dock appear in front of windows.

Reactions: rmpbklyn

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I can do that:
System Preferences > Dock
uncheck "Automatically Hide and Show the Dock"

But my Dock stretches all the way across the screen.

rmpbklyn

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
did you try changing the size under dock->preferences and change magnification
I can do that:
System Preferences > Dock
uncheck "Automatically Hide and Show the Dock"

But my Dock stretches all the way across the screen.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
No, because I was just exploring System Preferences in an effort to provide helpful input. I immediately re-checked that box to revert back to my preferred setting.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you leave the dock "showing" all the time, I don't believe the finder will let you enlarge a window to intrude "behind" the dock.

As mentioned above, if you choose a setup that normally leaves the dock "hidden", it IS possible to do it.

You can click "the green button" which will make a window go "full screen", and the dock will be hidden.

This is why I keep the dock on the right side (NOT on the bottom).
Now I can make windows the full height of the display.
I seldom (never?) need to make a window the full WIDTH of the display.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
If you leave the dock "showing" all the time, I don't believe the finder will let you enlarge a window to intrude "behind" the dock.

As mentioned above, if you choose a setup that normally leaves the dock "hidden", it IS possible to do it.

You can click "the green button" which will make a window go "full screen", and the dock will be hidden.

This is why I keep the dock on the right side (NOT on the bottom).
Now I can make windows the full height of the display.
I seldom (never?) need to make a window the full WIDTH of the display.

When I'm behind my monitor I also never make the windows the full width of the screen too, but when I'm behind the laptop screen all my windows are always using the full width. This solution I'm using is mostly for when I'm behind the 12" screen.

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
its 2024 and we still cant have windows behind the dock, not fair

We can. At least since Ventura (and maybe earlier). I never needed this option - but I just tried and on Ventura and later you can definitely move windows behind the Dock.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
We can. At least since Ventura (and maybe earlier). I never needed this option - but I just tried and on Ventura and later you can definitely move windows behind the Dock.
Yeah, but they won't stay there. That's the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.