Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsr71

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
I want to do a simple line drawing of my front & rear yards to show sprinkler locations. Without purchasing aftermarket software, what app that comes with the MacBook would be the simplest to accomplish this task?

Thanks…Dan

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Why not use FreeForm since it's bundled with macOS already?
How long has that been there?! I've long thought a simple editor needed to be included with the OS, and then one sneaked in when I wasn't looking!

Edit: Looks like it came in 13.1, and was advertised as an all-singing, all-dancing whiteboard tool so I probably ignored it as something I wasn't interested in.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
How long has that been there?! I've long thought a simple editor needed to be included with the OS, and then one sneaked in when I wasn't looking!

Edit: Looks like it came in 13.1, and was advertised as an all-singing, all-dancing whiteboard tool so I probably ignored it as something I wasn't interested in.
I think since Ventura?

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2024
I once designed the layout of a new garage using Excel, with each cell a square representing a square foot. So Numbers could work too. Old school... 😁

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I want to do a simple line drawing of my front & rear yards to show sprinkler locations. Without purchasing aftermarket software, what app that comes with the MacBook would be the simplest to accomplish this task?

Thanks…Dan
As people here say, freeform is a white-board-like app. It is good for making infomal hand sketches

But there are also a few professional-level 3D CAD apps that are free to use, one is even open source. CAD has a better learning curve than you want for this but does allow you to draw to exact scale, FreeCAD, Fusion360 and OnShape

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
my macbook pro 2012 using CS$ PS can draw this :
im sure there are more free design program out there, even drawing ones besides freeform
line mbp.jpg
hope this helped!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

It's really quite decent. Seems to share the same basic graphics tools as Keynote and Pages, but with a bit more streamlined interface and an infinite (?) canvas.

I use Illustrator professionally, and still find myself going to Apple's layout tools because they're nicely made and quicker for some things.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.