Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
So wayyy back before iCloud, I had used email address A (non-Apple) for my Apple ID. Bought apps, etc with it. Then when iCloud came around, I had to create another Apple ID (email address B, .icloud.com) for full cloud and family integration. Since then, I have my app store with email address A and the rest with B.

Well, today it prompted me to change my Apple ID password. Ok, I was able to do it for the icloud address B no problem. But can't figure out how to change it for address A. From a webpage, I log in and it tells me for password reset to do it from a device and not a web browser. Ok. I grab my iPhone, try to do it, it kicks to a web page on my iPhone telling me the same thing! Is there some trick here to change it for address A? I really wish Apple would allow to just MERGE the addresses to the single iCloud account already! I'd dump A but there's a ton of historical purchase on that one.

Thanks!

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Create another user account on one of your Macs and login into iCloud within that newly created account. From there you should be able to change the password for the Apple ID.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I figured it out. It was because of that stolen device protection. I toggled it off and was able to change my password after logging into the apple ID website no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.