Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigmaj0hn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2024
So I have a computer I need Leopard on. It currently has high sierra. I downloaded the 10.5 OS and tried to install it via a bootable usb and that just would never work. So I went on Ebay and bought an actual copy of Leopard. When I open the disc to install the software it ask me to reboot so i click on that. the mac then reboots and just goes into the normal OS without anything opening. I tried changing the date on the computer to 2008 and turned off the wifi. Confirmed in the terminal that was the new date. Still nothing. So I rebooted the mac and pulled up the boot menu with the alt key. I selected the disc to boot from (which I was under the impression that would start the install process) and I got an black screen with some errors on it.
error.jpg

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Screen shot is pretty much unreadable.

And might help if you also provide what Mac you are trying to install this on.

My guess, hardware is too recent/new for Leopard. First post here lists Macs that could run Leopard.

sigmaj0hn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2024
sorry thought the pic would be bigger when you clicked on it. New here :(

I bought an older refurbished mac thinking it already had leopard on it. it's a Apple iMac 21.5-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core i5 (Mid 2011)

sigmaj0hn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2024
oh... it's a quad core. UGGG thank you so much for your help. I'll have to figure something else out now

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.6) is what your mid-2011 iMac shipped with... Too new for Leopard
If you need Leopard, you will have to find a Mac 2 years older than that 2011.
That will also mean that you won't have a 27-inch. Last iMacs that can boot from Leopard are the previous generation models, Early 2009 iMacs with either 20-inch or 24-inch screens.

You made me curious... Why do you need Leopard, rather than Snow Leopard?

Reactions: NoBoMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.