Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Does anyone know how to do this yet?
Using the Music app to play lossy streaming Atmos required a connected approved device and Monterey or newer. No connected approved device and the Atmos setting controls and blanked out in the Music app.

My situation is having an already expensive multichannel system. I'd have to buy some AppleTV or whatever that I don't want or have any other use for and then have the privileged of having to kludge audio back to the main system. So I'm not buying anything!
I use the Dolby reference player itself for lossless Atmos.

Does anyone know how to find and edit the whitelist style file somewhere in MacOS to add my computer itself to the whitelist? (Newer Macs add the computer itself as an approved device.) I'm also well covered and not in the market for a newer machine. And sure as hell not the current crop of soldered in hard drive machines for any reason!

Thanks!

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Still a well buried secret apparently!

Anyone have any clue where to start searching? What filenames to maybe look for?
The Dosdude whitelist edits for those "patched" installers or some of the stuff in the "liberated" version of OpenCore... What files were found and edited there? Someone figured out how to manually edit a database file to manually add "microphone" permission for an app when the autopilot alert fails. Any clues for where to start in any of that?

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Crickets...

Apple and Dolby just really have the lock down on this eh? This information just isn't allowed to be shared?

What about the other direction... spoofing the Mac model as a newer machine? Does anyone know how to do that? What system files to edit? Obviously this isn't an ideal solution for a number of reasons but it might at least be a temporary workaround

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You might do better asking your questions at
gearspace.com

That's where "the audio production guys" hang out.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Have you confirmed that your equipment works (plays Atmos) with Apple Music if it's connected to one of the newer Macs? That's another hurdle that Apple Silicon owners with external DACs have been dealing with.

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Have you confirmed that your equipment works (plays Atmos) with Apple Music if it's connected to one of the newer Macs? That's another hurdle that Apple Silicon owners with external DACs have been dealing with.
Thanks for the reply!

I'm going by posted screen shots of the Music app preferences screen. The Atmos controls are blank in that spot for me. I know 'approved devices' and Apple's whitelists are a thing. I don't want to buy a newer Mac to use as a 'dongle' for this. I boycott their newer machines with the soldered in hard drives and planned obsolescence right now. Also, being that the reward is only the lossy streaming Atmos... I'll go without if it comes right down to it! Just listen to my purchased blurays and downloads and then get back to work behind the mixing board!

My equipment (audio interface, amps, speakers) works very well connected to my Mac Pro 5,1 playing lossless Atmos blurays or downloads with the Dolby reference player and mixing in 7.1.4 with a DAW app. (I use Reaper). Or my Macbook Pro 8,2. Again, I haven't upgraded computers in a while now. Two big reasons: 1. This one is still overpowered for what I do! Live sound doesn't stop it. 400 track 7.1.4 mixes don't stop it. It still runs the latest MacOS even (but I stick to Monterey or High Sierra). 2. Apple started soldering in hard drives and putting their effort into making repairs and mods impossible. And I guess I don't feel like switching to Linux just yet and buying new hardware that doesn't do anything more for me either.

Yeah, fully covered with hardware and then some! Speaker array is the full 7.1.4. It's the software block designed to force me to make a hardware purchase. I'm in the gap where that makes no reasonable sense. I'd have to get a very expensive theater aimed hardware interface with hardware decoding to replace my audio interfaces and additional external DACs and match the quality I'm used to. The consumer devices like shitbars and AppleTV would be pure novelty. None of those things have digital outputs by design - so you can't just use it as a hardware decoder and then connect to your own interfaces. I need to stay stubborn with this! I'd actually shell out for a software package even up to $500 but Dolby refuses to license anything like that - they're pushing for hardware sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.