Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Godel_I

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2022
For participating in Zoom meetings, I use a USB microphone (Blue Yeti). When I plug my headphone jack into the mic, I can hear the meeting audio and my microphone output in my headphones.

I recently added the Focusrite interface (for my guitar), and tested plugging the headphone jack into the Focusrite. On Zoom, I can hear the meeting audio in my headphones, but not my mic audio.

Any thoughts as to why this is the case are appreciated.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
So you're still using a USB mic even with the Scarlet? This could be a setting with the Yeti, or it could be your computer and Zoom is set up to use the input from the Scarlet not the Yeti.

Last edited:

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
For participating in Zoom meetings, I use a USB microphone (Blue Yeti). When I plug my headphone jack into the mic, I can hear the meeting audio and my microphone output in my headphones.

I recently added the Focusrite interface (for my guitar), and tested plugging the headphone jack into the Focusrite. On Zoom, I can hear the meeting audio in my headphones, but not my mic audio.

Check your blue yeti settings for what the output is for mic monitoring

Godel_I

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2022
Thanks for the suggestions. Not working yet, but I have run through my configuration:

• In Zoom, speaker = Scarlett Solo. If I test the speaker, I can hear audio in my headphones which are connected to the Scarlett.
  • In Zoom, mic = Yeti Stereo Mic. If I test the mic, I don't hear my voice in my headphones. If I test record the mic, and let it play back, I can hear it in my headphones.
  • System audio output also = Scarlett Solo.
  • In Audio Devices, under Yeti Mic input, Thru is unchecked.
  • On the Scarlett, Direct is selected.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Firstly, the 'direct' button on the Scarlet will have no affect in your configuration. That's for when you're using a mic plugged into the Scarlet.

I've read through this again and I'm thinking it's working correctly. You were hearing your voice when you had the headphones plugged into the Yeti because the Yeti itself was passing the mic-input directly through to your headphones, like the 'direct' button does on the Scarlet. It wasn't going via Zoom.

I've never used Zoom, but I do use Teams. Teams deliberately does not pass audio through from my headset-mic to my headset, firstly because there would be distracting latency, and secondly because of feedback. I've never used Zoom but I imagine it works in the same way: other callers can hear you, but it purposefully will not feed the mic input to whatever device is selected as the speaker.

And tbh just about the most distracting thing ever for me would be hearing my own voice in my headset while i'm talking on a call.

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina

Yes you have to choose the Yeti as the input and the Focusrite as the output - You don’t want to hear your Yeti in your output IMO - in Zoom you can Test the Audio to hear what it sounds like -

Godel_I

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2022
Thanks for the additional replies.

As unusual at it may sound, I indeed do want to hear my mic output along with the general audio output in my headphones. I've gotten used to it both with participating in meetings and with recording podcasts. When the headphones are connected directly to the mic output of the Yeti, the audio blends well with the general audio output and there is no latency.

All of that said, my plan is eventually to replace the USB mic with an XLR mic, and to use the Scarlett for its mic input. This discussion has been helpful in thinking through the signal chain in the interim.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
If you connect a regular dynamic or condenser mic to the Scarlet and turn on direct monitoring, you will get back what you had before. Your Yeti must obviously have direct monitoring, which is why there was no latency.

Godel_I

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2022
If you connect a regular dynamic or condenser mic to the Scarlet and turn on direct monitoring, you will get back what you had before. Your Yeti must obviously have direct monitoring, which is why there was no latency.
This insight is helpful. Thanks so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.