Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A few months ago, Volvo and Polestar announced updates for their infotainment systems to support dual-screen Apple Maps displays from CarPlay, allowing a supplementary Apple Maps view to appear in the driver display separate from the main infotainment screen.

volvo-s60-drivers-apple-maps.jpg

While an increasing number of vehicles are supporting text-based Apple Maps navigation prompts in the driver display and/or head-up display, Volvo is one of the first to adopt a full map view on a second screen, and I recently had a chance to test it out in a 2024 S60 Recharge.

volvo-s60-recharge-2024.jpg

The driver display Apple Maps screen is only active when there is a navigation route running in CarPlay, and it provides a familiar Apple Maps view with your vehicle position and your route, including upcoming traffic lights as well as surrounding streets, points of interest, and other features. At the bottom of the screen is a thin black box displaying your arrival time plus the time and distance remaining in the current trip.

This secondary Apple Maps screen doesn't show a visual text prompt of your next turn or exit, the distance until that movement, or lane guidance, but with Siri voice prompts and the visual representation of your route, you shouldn't have much trouble staying on course even if you don't have navigation up on the center infotainment screen. It also would be nice if the turn prompts were sent to the Head-Up Display, but they are not for Apple Maps.

volvo-s60-carplay-dual.jpg

With Apple Maps taking up residence in the driver display, that frees up the main infotainment screen for other functionality, whether it be for another CarPlay app like Music or Podcasts or for the native infotainment system. And if you're in another CarPlay app, you'll still get pop-up text instructions for upcoming turns from Maps just like when when you're in a non-Maps app while using single-screen CarPlay.

volvo-s60-carplay-maps-main.jpg

Volvo is notable for its portrait infotainment screens typically measuring 9 inches diagonally, although other manufacturers are increasingly adopting the form factor, particularly in electric vehicles. CarPlay on the main screen adapts to the portrait aspect ratio, with the usual sidebar containing status items and recent apps moving to the bottom and individual apps adjusting their layouts to fit.

The CarPlay Dashboard view looks particularly nice in portrait orientation, with a horizontal view from the Maps app taking up the full width at the top and then plenty of room for generously sized tiles from other apps appearing below.

volvo-s60-carplay-dashboard-portrait.jpg

At least on this Volvo model, Apple Maps in the driver display appears in dark mode at all times, regardless of whether the main CarPlay screen is in light or dark mode. While it initially seemed a bit jarring for the two screens to display differently, it does make sense to always use dark mode in the 12-inch driver display to match the rest of the display elements like the speedometer. It results in a more cohesive look for the driver display and means you don't have a bright screen almost directly in your line of sight.

volvo-s60-drivers-google-maps.jpg
Native Google Maps on the driver display

The native Volvo infotainment system now runs on Android Automotive from Google, so it features built-in Google Maps support that also shows up on the driver display, complete with upcoming turn prompts and lane guidance. The overall infotainment system was a bit sluggish to use at times, but Google Maps routing and features are solid, so it works well once you've got your route going. And with access to the Google Play Store, additional Android apps can be installed right on your vehicle's system.

volvo-s60-sirius-now-playing.jpg
Volvo SiriusXM Now Playing screen

I have some mixed feelings about the overall look of the Volvo infotainment system. While individual app screens are generally fine, the application manager view in particular has a rather dated look with app icons broken up into sections by type. It's functional and you can rearrange apps however you like, but it just doesn't look very slick or modern to me... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Hands-On With Volvo's Dual-Screen Apple Maps CarPlay Experience

Last edited:

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
I remember when Volvo first announced that they were going to incorporate CarPlay in their cars back in 2015:

Volvo has been making really great, comfortable and safe cars for so long and I’m glad that Volvo is taking the right approach that GM chose not to take and sticking with CarPlay because it’s definitely the best car infotainment system by far

SigurTom

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
I have some mixed feelings about the overall look of the Volvo infotainment system. While individual app screens are generally fine, the application manager view in particular has a rather dated look with app icons broken up into sections by type.

That's 100% why I canceled my deposit on a V90 earlier this year and went with an Audi A6 Allroad.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
I remember when Volvo first announced that they were going to incorporate CarPlay in their cars back in 2015:

Volvo has been making really great, comfortable and safe cars for so long and I’m glad that Volvo is taking the right approach that GM chose not to take and sticking with CarPlay because it’s definitely the best car infotainment system by far

I think the Polestar 2 might be the best looking electric sedan on the market.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Overall, the dual-screen ‌Apple Maps‌ ‌CarPlay‌ experience is a nice enhancement, and I'm glad Volvo has embraced it. A few other manufacturers including Jaguar Land Rover also appear to be adopting it, but it's of course only a teaser for what's to come with ‌CarPlay‌ given Apple's WWDC 2022 announcement about the next-generation CarPlay.

And overall, Volvo’s implementation of Google’s new infotainment system that plays very nicely with Apple Carplay is perfect and the correct way, unlike some certain US auto manufacture that decided to ditch CarPlay and just add Google’s infotainment system….. (which means if you want full functionality, you have to have an Android phone basically).

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
While an increasing number of vehicles are supporting text-based Apple Maps navigation prompts in the driver display and/or head-up display, Volvo is one of the first to adopt a full map view on a second screen, and I recently had a chance to test it out in a 2024 S60 Recharge.
Love my Volvo to death, but would have liked to see MR mention that this Volvo implementation specifically does not send Apple Maps directions into the HUD, like it will do with Google Maps.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
It'll look good when they get it on a car with a decent interior. The screen setup on this Volvo is terrible. Yuck. I'd love it in my current car. It would look amazing.

Reactions: entropys

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
This is very cool! Why GM wants to go it alone is completely baffling.
Very simply, they want recurring revenue via app subscriptions.

On one hand, from the users' perspective, subscription fatigue is real and only getting worse.

But from Wall Street's perspective, it is quite simply the easiest way for your stock price to gain higher multiple ratios (a la what Apple's services did to its stock over the last 2-3 years)

I hope the users ultimately win out.

CC77

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2016
Chicago, IL
I have a Volvo XC40 and the touchscreen climate controls, coupled with automatic heated seats that turn on under 40 degrees, make those transition days in and out of winter unbearable. I'm already sweating in a coat running errands, now my seat is on fire and I have to tap four different areas in a moving vehicle to shut it off! GIVE ME A BUTTON.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.