Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on multiple new external monitors, including an updated version of the high-end Pro Display XDR that launched alongside the Mac Pro in December 2019, according to the latest information shared by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Pro-Display-XDR-Yella.jpg

In his newsletter today, Gurman said the new monitors will be powered by Apple silicon, just like the Studio Display has an A13 Bionic chip. He did not share any additional details, or a timeframe for the monitors launching, but noted that an all-new Mac Pro is further along in development compared to the updated Pro Display XDR.

It's unclear if one of the new monitors would include an updated Studio Display. In October, display industry consultant Ross Young said Apple was planning to launch a new monitor with a 27-inch mini-LED display in the first quarter of 2023. Based on those specs, it's possible this monitor could be a new Studio Display with ProMotion.

Introduced alongside the Mac Studio in March, the Studio Display starts at $1,599. The display features a 27-inch screen with 5K resolution and a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide camera. The higher-end Pro Display XDR starts at $4,999 and is equipped with a 32-inch display with 6K resolution, but it does not have a camera.

Article Link: Gurman: Apple Working on New Monitors, Including Updated Pro Display XDR

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
My guess is Apple will release two new Pro Display XDR models in 2023.

The first will be a replacement for the current one, but now at 7K in either 32" or 36" form with ProMotion and Mini-LED per rumors that 9to5Mac dropped in March 2022.

The second will be 27" and 5K and will end up being the ProMotion Mini-LED display Ross Young has been talking about the past year (and Ming Chi Kuo first outed in early 2021).

Last edited:

matthewlcx

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2022
Mac mini (m2pro) with Studio display 2

Mac Pro (m2 ultra) with Studio display pro

Can not wait for either of these two in March 2023

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
I trust Ross Young on the 5K miniLED 27" Studio Display; it's literally the only machine on the market (or rumored to be upcoming) that I think is worth replacing my LG 5K with. Nothing else can be used as a dual purpose Mac & gaming display with 2 separate machines. The overall state of the monitor market moves incredibly slowly, and this is something that I think would be considerably ahead of the curve. I just hope it doesn't cost XDR money…

EDIT: Well, there is a dual 4K ultrawide from Samsung coming next year, but that's more for gaming then for Mac use.

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022
Why would a ProMotion/MiniLED Studio Display be released *so soon* after the previous one?

It has not even been a year. Apple rarely updates non-Phone/iPad/Mac devices on an annual basis. Look at how long it took them to upgrade the Airpod Pros/Max.

Previous track record updating displays is not very hopeful.

While I would love a 5k ProMotion/MiniLED priced like the current ASD I think it is a pipedream right now. Where can you even get a 4k miniled with 120fps refresh?

Another thing: 5k 120fps will take a lot of bandwidth. Most USBC/Thundsrbolt standards could barely support it, esp with multiple monitors.

My prediction: this wont come until macs are all updated with new versions of Thunderbolt/USBC

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
I'd personally prefer a 7K (6880x2880) ultrawide screen (34 or 35 inch), but 120Hz/ProMotion would definitely be on the requirements list (as would an integrated KVM). Sadly, I see no indication of something like that happening.
Has Apple ever released a display wider than 16:9?

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
they will spec bump the studio display with a better camera after they were embarrassed. that will be the only change. the real story will be the XDR with the same better camera but all the high end screen tech.

Reactions: Ener Ji

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Why would a ProMotion/MiniLED Studio Display be released *so soon* after the previous one?

If they label it a Pro Display XDR, that would set it apart from the Apple Studio Display as a higher-end model.

Also, speculation is that this display will be at least $1000 more expensive than the Apple Studio Display so it would be aimed at a different market segment and Apple's expectation is that people would not generally cross-shop the two displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.