Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
what I mean here is , once a while do you do a reset for your mac devices?
I heard some claim actually IOS, OSX it self will optimize itself. Actually no need unless you feel suddenly lag or hang.

JemTheWire

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)
My iPhone 15PM is on 24/7. The only 'reset' I undertake is a power cycle every couple of weeks or so. Not because I have to but because, like any computing device, I think it cleans cache etc.

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
My iPhone 15PM is on 24/7. The only 'reset' I undertake is a power cycle every couple of weeks or so. Not because I have to but because, like any computing device, I think it cleans cache etc.
I used to do weekly on my old iPhone partly is aging like wise for my old iPad. Recently upgrade new one. I never do that. Actually on my old iPhone I noticed there is no difference despite I reset.

JemTheWire

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)
I agree, I do it not because I have to, or am experiencing any issue that I think a restart would fix. I do it because I am 'old school' and just get into the habit. Like my Windows PC. It works fine for a few years then starts to slow down, not because of hardware, but general software clutter. I have been known just to wipe and completely fresh install. Just how my mind works.

Reactions: Retroworldnews

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No. I do not do this.

A long time ago, when I was fooling around with a 3GS prior to fully moving to iOS/iPhone, I got all my jailbreaking experience/habits taken care of with that phone. Trying stuff often meant a reset. But by the time I got my iPhone 5 I'd worked all that out.

The 'account', 'profile', whatever you want to call it that I am running on my 11 Pro Max is the same one I've been using since the iPhone 5. It's just been transitioned to each new phone. While some of that has been a restore from backup, I've never reset the phone and started all over.

Finally, a small part of the reason that I always buy the largest capacity Apple offers for a model of iPhone is that I don't want to deal with system issues caused by not enough space.

Likewise, I don't do this for my Macs.

The account I am currently typing this in is the same one I've had since Jaguar. I have apps sitting in my Applications folder that were downloaded for Jaguar. Obviously they don't work on an Intel MP running Monterey, but I don't get in there much to clean things out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.