Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
When I open Disk Utility to run Disk First Aid on a drive, I can run it on the Physical Disk, on the Container, and on the Volume. Do I need to run it on all three, or does running DFA on the Media also run it on the underlying container(s) and volume(s)?

DFA picture.jpg

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I make sure "show all devices" is visible.

Then, I "start from the top" and run the first aid routine one-at-a-time, "down the line".
Works for me.

Reactions: DeltaMac

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I make sure "show all devices" is visible.

Then, I "start from the top" and run the first aid routine one-at-a-time, "down the line".
Works for me.
Interesting, Apples instructions (see the link in my post) go from the bottom up - "Repair volumes, then containers, then disks".

I generally try to follow Apples instructions when they can be found, unless there is a reason not to follow them. Do you have a reason to not follow Apples instructions?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Coastal wrote:
"I generally try to follow Apples instructions when they can be found, unless there is a reason not to follow them. Do you have a reason to not follow Apples instructions?"

Yup.
I never bothered to READ Apple's "instructions".
I just went and did it.
Worked for me... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.