Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
Is there a great security suite out there to scan everything and keep it safe? Right now I have trend micro Cleaner One pro which I really like, seems to do a great job, but I tried to load their Anti virus software and even with the latest OS update it still crashes and won't do full scans. Wouldn't mind a good all-in-one solution.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Most people are happy with what Apple provides - Gatekeeper, XProtect, etc.

I use additional protection for specific risks. For example, Adguard for Mac mitigates risks from malware downloads and trackers.

Reactions: chabig

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Best frontline security suite is the human brain (though this is admittedly a variable), and a suitably layered degree of security, one layer being what gilby101 points out.

If you need to run something separate however, I'd go with Bitdefender.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
Best frontline security suite is the human brain (though this is admittedly a variable), and a suitably layered degree of security, one layer being what gilby101 points out.

it's not just what I do but the network I'm plugged into and things like emails with attachments, etc.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I have never seen the need for any security software with any of my macs. There is no virus that will run on a mac, adware, trackers, things of that nature which can be prevented by using the computer on top of your neck, but no actual viruses for macOS. My company requires the personal who use their own laptops to use a security software, but only have to self certify and sign that we are using one, while I have signed the agreement, I never do. It is just employment and if they find out and its cause for termination, it is what it is. I will not cripple my machine just to make an employer happy.

• Sad
Reactions: Alameda

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012

Strongly disagree with that. Of course we need to be careful not to click on phishing emails, but there are ways that code can execute behind our back that we cannot possibly see. Human brain tells us to use anti-virus software.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Is there a great security suite out there to scan everything and keep it safe? Right now I have trend micro Cleaner One pro which I really like, seems to do a great job, but I tried to load their Anti virus software and even with the latest OS update it still crashes and won't do full scans. Wouldn't mind a good all-in-one solution.
I have used Bitdefender for several years now. I haven’t experienced any problems using it. I pay for a family subscription which runs on all of our Macs.

I also use software called 1Password, which stores all of my passwords. It was an itty-bit confusing to setup, but their support was great, set me straight, and it’s worked very smoothly for several years now across my Mac, iPad, and iPhone. My passwords are all ultra-long, ultra-random and unique.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Strongly disagree with that. Of course we need to be careful not to click on phishing emails, but there are ways that code can execute behind our back that we cannot possibly see. Human brain tells us to use anti-virus software.
Most problems with viruses come from people not thinking, and opening all links they get and then wonder why their system do not work.

Reactions: stephenschimpf

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Most problems with viruses come from people not thinking, and opening all links they get and then wonder why their system do not work.
Even Apple acknowledges that there’s a malware problem.

Apple includes a Gatekeeper feature, which blocks software from installing if it hasn’t been signed by Apple. But there’s a LOT of unsigned software out there, and many of us use it. However, MacOS does have a built in antivirus scanner, which is regularly updated. So there’s a lot of protection even if you don’t use third party antivirus software.

Reactions: MiniApple

cwt2nospam

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2016
I'm happy with just doing system updates as they become available. I've been following malware developments for over 20 years and I'm still not convinced that anti virus does any good at all. It certainly gets in the way a lot on my work PC, so I see no reason to put it on my Mac.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Even Apple acknowledges that there’s a malware problem.

Apple includes a Gatekeeper feature, which blocks software from installing if it hasn’t been signed by Apple. But there’s a LOT of unsigned software out there, and many of us use it. However, MacOS does have a built in antivirus scanner, which is regularly updated. So there’s a lot of protection even if you don’t use third party antivirus software.

and that's why I choose not to further cripple the performance of my laptop. no company has the authority to force compliance when you use your own equipment.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
I use Avast. The wife goes everywhere on her laptop and occasionally my imac. She is a college teacher and online learning is there. We have had viruses and trojans kids have uploaded, I am guessing and hoping by accident. But I do all the financial work on mine and do not want to deal with issues. She on the otherhand seem oblivious to any threat. Avast does have an email scan, but it is flaky. It will scan gmail and outlook, but not icloud or most others. Today I got one of these fake ,"you are being charged for.." and of course it was fake, but their email scanner didn't pick up on all the crap it wanted me to do. So right now, Avast. I would go with Norton, but it doesn't have ransomeware protection. I have always thought that we see Apple computer in all the tv shows, why more companies do not produce software that works with MacOSX or compatible hardware, there would be a bundle out there to be made. Well not Musk saying he would ban apple devices from his company

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
I hate when people just dismiss antivirus etc saying "you don't need them on a Mac". What about people who use Windows? Do you want to help spread viruses you may receive via email or whatever to other people just because they don't affect you directly? I use BitDefender for Mac for this reason mainly, even if macOS by itself is robust.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
I hate when people just dismiss antivirus etc saying "you don't need them on a Mac". What about people who use Windows? Do you want to help spread viruses you may receive via email or whatever to other people just because they don't affect you directly? I use BitDefender for Mac for this reason mainly, even if macOS by itself is robust.
The research shows that the viruses, keylogger,trojans and other nasties that are ot there for windows computers are now modified to go after Apple products. I used to use bitdefender but it didn't have scheduled scans, email scans. Avast is far from what I want as it will not scan icloud.com or me.com, a flaw. However, being safe rather than sorry. If you don't want a virus suite, then don't spread old information as current.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
The research shows that the viruses, keylogger,trojans and other nasties that are ot there for windows computers are now modified to go after Apple products. I used to use bitdefender but it didn't have scheduled scans, email scans. Avast is far from what I want as it will not scan icloud.com or me.com, a flaw. However, being safe rather than sorry. If you don't want a virus suite, then don't spread old information as current.
Which old information am I spreading exactly?

sgtaylor5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
macOS is different enough from Windows, I'd use Intego, which has always been Mac-centric from it's beginning. Won't slow your laptop down, whether it's Intel or Arm based. Just a happy customer.

Tzvia.ls

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2023
As a relatively new 'MAC' user (got my first MAC last year, been on PC since DOS 3.2) I spent some time reading here and around the Internet about the pros and cons of 'AV for MAC'. At home, my router DLs about 25 'bad site' lists every day and blocks access, and only opens needed ports to the internet. Also running intrusion detection. VLANs separate the IOT stuff that won't ever get patches but has to be on the network, and guest access (who knows how safe they are), while also keeping home servers/file servers on their own limited-access VLAN. So I have tried to provide some level of protection even before the computer gets on the network. And of course, education of family.
I did try F-Secure for a short while (it was free from my ISP) and I do have it installed on the PCs along with Malwarebytes, but I removed it shortly after installing it on the MAC. At home I am not sure it's needed. If I ever get a real vacation and will be taking it about and connecting it to hotel WIFI and what have you, I will at least put that F-Secure back on there. Maybe make a 'mini router' and sit behind that in the hotel room (PFSENSE+PFBLOCKER)...

I am a bit leery of the 'just trust MAC', coming from decades in the PC world. But in the end, we all should be assessing our risks and choosing our poison appropriately.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The best security suite is user education on how not to get malware.

By its nature security software creates vulnerabilities in the system.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Operational security teaches users not to click the links. Layered technical security stops the users from seeing the sketchy links to click in the first place.

For operational security, you teach the basics. Never answer a phone call from your bank. Call the number on the back of your credit card instead. Never open the link in your email. Always go directly to their website in your browser or via a major search engine like Google. Expand as applies to your environment/situation e.g. home office, home with kids, small business workstation, college student, etc.

For layered security, user education won't stop someone from searching for "Firefox Download" and seeing several sketchy ads for downloads. uBlock Origin, Brave, and other technical solutions will. It reduces attack surface and risk of user error. It is one of the best and least invasive changes you can make. You can look at products from vendors like ESET and Malwarebytes. These are extremely popular products with loads of customers across the internet. Products like that provide a last line of security against zero day exploits or similar long tail problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.