Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

I finally took mine of a day trip, and it worked great! Note this sling style is not going to replace a backpack for those that need a more cargo space. Ha, that is why they dubbed it "Essential" as you are only going to carry your device and a few essential items. But it does fit my new M4 iPad Pro 13" with and without the Apple Magic Keyboard. Wallet, iPhone, and a couple of power bars in this sling and I'm good to go!

I was able to easily navigate some pretty narrow hallways with lots of people traveling those same hallways. Access to to the iPad is easy. The bag and zippers are weather resistant. The sling strap is easily adjustable while wear the sling.

I the Essential Sling isn't going to fit your needs just look at the rest of their line.

IMG_2049.jpeg

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
i bought the shinjuku messenger compact from sfbags. i like it a lot. dedicated pocket for the iPad pro 11" with magic keyboard. plus plenty of other space to fit other things. i really like how i can access the main compartment without having to unzip or detach a buckle. the magnetic hold on the flap is held strong. its lightweight and good looking. i also like the leather handle on the upper back side. without a doubt my favorite messenger bag to date. and i have purchased way too many. just ask my wife. btw i went with the black xpac/black leather.

• Love
Reactions: jbanning and jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
i bought the shinjuku messenger compact from sfbags. i like it a lot. dedicated pocket for the iPad pro 11" with magic keyboard. plus plenty of other space to fit other things. i really like how i can access the main compartment without having to unzip or detach a buckle. the magnetic hold on the flap is held strong. its lightweight and good looking. i also like the leather handle on the upper back side. without a doubt my favorite messenger bag to date. and i have purchased way too many. just ask my wife. btw i went with the black xpac/black leather.
I did originally order the Shinjuku, but the size that would accommodate my M4 13" iPad Pro seemed in the upper end of their size selection. However you description of the ease of getting the iPad in and out of the bag has me looking at it again. I just wish Waterfield had another size option. I guess I should try out what they have. They have been very good with customer service, and I don't expect a return would be a problem, if it didn't work for me.

I did get an Essential Sling, and I do like it as it is very compact. But of course limited in storage. As reported earlier I like it very much.

DarrinS any chance you could post a pictures of your great find!?

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
IMG_2536.jpeg
IMG_2582.jpeg
IMG_2596.jpeg
IMG_2575.jpeg
IMG_2567.jpeg
IMG_2548.jpeg
sorry for the delay. this is the black shinjuku messenger bag compact with the leather shoulder pad add-on.

• Love
Reactions: jazz1

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I would suggest that you go for a backpack that incorporates a solar charging system. There are a large number of them available. They will all hold and iPad, or MacBook. and more. The solar power system them have is large enough to directly power an iPad. They are set up with a solar panel on the back the the BP, it has a charge controller and a battery to store power in. With the large selection there will be one that will work for you.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I got two different Tomtoc products.

Reactions: DaPhox

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I got two different Tomtoc products.

Very nice! I like that sling!

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
this is another good choice incase compass brief case. i have this and use it for my MacBook but the iPad fits nicely in it. they both can actually fit together because there's a divider inside to keep them from scratching each other.

Pkupman57

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
El Lay, CA
Ive got a 5.11 Rush 24. It's a "tacticool" bag, but works well for my needs. Large enough, a CCW compartment (as I carry a weapon every day in it), Molle attachments for some tools/lights, has a laptop compartment that fits my iPad and 13" MBP perfectly. As well as a hydration compartment that could be used as another iPad/laptop compartment.

I carry it all to work every day, and as a "man purse" as my wife calls it every other day. There is an almost unlimited number of backpacks that fill this requirement of a laptop/iPad compartment. So id say its impossible to say any one of them is "the best"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.