Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankieG889D

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
So I’ve had iOS 17 since beta 1, and I must say, beta 1, autocorrect was actually better - the keyboard was great too. However since then, it’s like it always been.

Anybody else?

Reactions: hxlover904

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I don't notice it being any worse, though it does feel a little strange when the keyboard starts finishing my sentences for me.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah I’ve already gotten a few complete nonsense corrections.

I’ve reset my keyboard dictionary in hopes that improves things.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Isn't the new iOS 17 AutoCorrect limited to iPhone 14 (and newer) models?

I'm currently on iPhone 11 Pro Max, so I do not have the revamped AutoCorrect - right?

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
I’ve been using it since beta 1 too and it’s pretty good for me. I’ve noticed a great improvement from previous versions!

Bobcat32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2020
Ohio
Oh my GOD it is absolutely awful after this update! I mean it’s actually changing words that were correct to begin with to other words!!! And other words not even auto correcting them!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wrote successful. And it auto corrected after I pressed space to stressfully. I didn’t write stressfully. I want the old model back! Reset keyboard dictionary. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Chuckeee

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Oh my GOD it is absolutely awful after this update! I mean it’s actually changing words that were correct to begin with to other words!!! And other words not even auto correcting them!!!!!!!!!!!! And it’s now showing blue and yellow lines that go away it’s absolutely so stressful. Case in point I just wrote successful. And it auto corrected after I pressed space to stressfully. I didn’t write stressfully. I want the old model back! Maybe some article still be written on the web as to what settings to turn off here in a couple weeks. Because I am seeing a few new ones. But apple being apple knowing what every hell this is that is going on and which one to turn off proabbaly isn’t so intuitive as you would think! And why didn’t it auto correct probably?
It’s been working just fine for me for the past several weeks. Not sure why you’re seeing that kind of behavior, but like some other people have mentioned, you might need to use it for a while (and make sure to correct any mistakes that it makes so that it can learn)

Und Eser

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2022
Absolute PITA on the 13. Very annoying.

Like getting a dog that sits, stands, shakes your hand, begs and fetches whatever you throw....but can't stop $#!++ing on the carpet.

Mind you, some of the editing isn't great in MacOS either. Can really mess with coding if it catches you out.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Isn't the new iOS 17 AutoCorrect limited to iPhone 14 (and newer) models?

I'm currently on iPhone 11 Pro Max, so I do not have the revamped AutoCorrect - right?
Hard to tell. The Apple website says iPhone 12 and up but at least some of the new keyboard features are appearing on older phones as well, if not all of them.

Reactions: phillytim

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
it still turns "auch" into "sich" in German every single damn time and I even erased my iPhone completely without restoring from a backup. Drives me insane haha

Oh and it still does this weird thing:

For example, I would type "walkling" in a sentence by mistake and want to replace it with the suggestion. So I tap on the suggestion and what does iOS do? "walking ling"

Reactions: War833

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
For example, I would type "walkling" in a sentence by mistake and want to replace it with the suggestion. So I tap on the suggestion and what does iOS do? "walking ling"
I'm still on iOS 15, and I'm getting that when selecting a word and replacing it by typing. Then predictive text seems to think that the old word is still there (plus the newly typed characters). This was already a problem in iOS 14 I think. Sad to hear this is still not resolved in iOS 17.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
I can finally use the iOS virtual keyboard. It’s been a disaster for me since i started using it on the iPhone 6. iOS 17 had made it miles better than it ever was before. 🎉

nyermen

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2018
Oh my GOD it is absolutely awful after this update! I mean it’s actually changing words that were correct to begin with to other words!!! And other words not even auto correcting them!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wrote successful. And it auto corrected after I pressed space to stressfully. I didn’t write stressfully. I want the old model back! Reset keyboard dictionary. I hope this helps.
Just discovered this thread and heree to say im seeing that too. Half way through a message to my wife and it changes the first word to a word I've never used before. (It was a name as well!)
Hoping a keybpard reset will then show improvements over time.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
My biggest complaint is that I can’t quickly tap before or after a word to relocate the cursor, like if I wanted to reword something or add a word. Instead of putting the cursor there like it used to, now it just highlights the word so it can suggest some weird nonsense instead. So to move the cursor I have to press and hold the space bar, then move it to where I want. It’s annoying and takes longer.

And it’s not even just the most recently tried words either. I’m trying it right now with the first sentence in this post, and all it wants to do is select the words instead of placing the cursor like it used to.

Reactions: blotchy-veil

AMCarter3

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
I think Autocorrect has gone from mediocre to a nightmare. Lately, when I'm typing in a text message or an email in iOS 17 or OS 14.3, I see surprising, sudden movements of text or overlapping text that is unreadble until I move the outside of the text box left or right a bit. At times, I've had entire sentences or paragraphs disappear. This is extremely distracting and huge time waste.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I think Autocorrect has gone from mediocre to a nightmare. Lately, when I'm typing in a text message or an email in iOS 17 or OS 14.3, I see surprising, sudden movements of text or overlapping text that is unreadble until I move the outside of the text box left or right a bit. At times, I've had entire sentences or paragraphs disappear. This is extremely distracting and huge time waste.
I agree, iOS 17 is absolutely in improvement in many aspects but the autocorrect, what in the world happened there?
I turned mine off and it just made me realize how much its actually fixes.

Still thinking it might be some settings that will fix this but haven't been able to find it.

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. Ever since iOS 17, I have felt that Autocorrect has gotten so aggressive that I'm finding myself having to go back and change words in something like half or more of the messages I type. It's really, REALLY bad.

For instance, the today I was trying to start a sentence with "I gave my". It changed it to "I have my" THREE times before it let me keep it and there wasn't even any X to tap to make it not do it. I know it has always done this stuff here and there, but now it feels constant. Like it's aggressively trying to predict and assume what I'm going to type and not even giving me the option to deny what it predicts.

Side note, I don't understand why "Never change a correctly spelled word" isn't a Settings option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.