Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Another report today claims that TSMC plans to begin volume production of 3nm chips later this year for use in upcoming MacBook models and other products.

M2-Pro-and-Max-Feature.jpg

"Backend firms are upbeat about demand for the upcoming MacBook chips, which will be built using TSMC's 3nm process technology, with production set to kick off later this year, according to industry sources," reads a paywalled preview of a DigiTimes report.

TSMC is unlikely to generate substantial revenue from 3nm chip production overall until at least the first quarter of 2023, according to DigiTimes.

This information lines up with a report last week from Taiwan's Commercial Times, which said TSMC would begin production of 3nm chips for Apple by the end of 2022. That report claimed that Apple's first 3nm chip may be the M2 Pro chip for Macs and added that the A17 Bionic chip in next year's iPhone 15 Pro models would also be a 3nm chip.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman expects the M2 Pro chip to be used in the next 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models, and in a new high-end Mac mini that would replace the current Intel-based configuration. Gurman believes that Apple plans to announce multiple new Macs at an October event, but it's not entirely clear if this would include new MacBook Pro and Mac mini models or if Apple will wait to announce its first Macs with 3nm chips in 2023.

The entire M1 series of chips and the standard M2 chip are built on a variation of TSMC's 5nm process. Apple's transition to 3nm chips would unsurprisingly result in improved performance and power efficiency in upcoming Macs and iPhones, as Apple seeks to preserve its performance-per-watt lead over competitors like Intel.

Article Link: Apple's First 3nm Chips for MacBook Pro Expected to Enter Production This Year

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
there have been reports elsewhere that TSMC already started 3nm mass production - who else than Apple would be on the forefront? so yes, we'll see 3nm Apple chips rather soon

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Does that mean absolutely no MacBook Pro 16" with M2 Max 3nm this year but earlier half of 2023?
Yeah I’m thinking that if we’re getting new hardware in a month or so, they would have already spun up production of this, so kinda thinking they may hold off till M3.

noone

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2006
Yeah I’m thinking that if we’re getting new hardware in a month or so, they would have already spun up production of this, so kinda thinking they may hold off till M3.
This is a problem with the naming convention they've gone with. Whenever they release a new chip, they immediately damage the reputation of the "old" one. "Why would I buy an M1 computer, when there's already an M2?" Unless they release/update everything simultaneously, they're always going to be selling something with an "outdated" chip.

Intel and AMD avoid this to a degree just based on their naming scheme: i3, i5, i7, i9 or Ryzen 3, 5, 7, 9 . Yes, they have the updated "generations" but most non-techy people aren't comparing a gen 9 or gen 10. They just want an i7.

Tec_Amigo

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2020
Mexico

Another report today claims that TSMC plans to begin volume production of 3nm chips later this year for use in upcoming MacBook models and other products.

M2-Pro-and-Max-Feature.jpg

"Backend firms are upbeat about demand for the upcoming MacBook chips, which will be built using TSMC's 3nm process technology, with production set to kick off later this year, according to industry sources," reads a paywalled preview of a DigiTimes report.

TSMC is unlikely to generate substantial revenue from 3nm chip production overall until at least the first quarter of 2023, according to DigiTimes.

This information lines up with a report last week from Taiwan's Commercial Times, which said TSMC would begin production of 3nm chips for Apple by the end of 2022. That report claimed that Apple's first 3nm chip may be the M2 Pro chip for Macs and added that the A17 Bionic chip in next year's iPhone 15 Pro models would also be a 3nm chip.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman expects the M2 Pro chip to be used in the next 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models, and in a new high-end Mac mini that would replace the current Intel-based configuration. Gurman believes that Apple plans to announce multiple new Macs at an October event, but it's not entirely clear if this would include new MacBook Pro and Mac mini models or if Apple will wait to announce its first Macs with 3nm chips in 2023.

The entire M1 series of chips and the standard M2 chip are built on a variation of TSMC's 5nm process. Apple's transition to 3nm chips would unsurprisingly result in improved performance and power efficiency in upcoming Macs and iPhones, as Apple seeks to preserve its performance-per-watt lead over competitors like Intel.

Article Link: Apple's First 3nm Chips for MacBook Pro Expected to Enter Production This Year
Does this lineup include the re designed Mac Mini?!?!?!? Please someone tell me it does!!!!

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
My 14" MBPro M1 Max is about .35" deeper and .34" wider than my 2021 MBAir M1. That has become the new 13" for the Pro series. 16" MBPro 1s are about 0.05 inches narrower and 0.09 inches deeper than my 2019 16" Intel MBPro.

With the same processor choices. memory options, SSD size options and ports, the differentiation between the 14" and 16" M1 series is the 16" is 0.05" taller, 1.7" wider and 1.06" deeper plus being 1.2 pounds heavier.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
Bring it on. I may scuttle my plans to buy a Studio with M1 Max chip and opt for a Mac Mini with an M2 Pro.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Does that mean absolutely no MacBook Pro 16" with M2 Max 3nm this year but earlier half of 2023?

Yes, TSMC CEO has already said 3nm will enter volume production this year but won’t ship their customers until early 2023 because of how long the wafer cycle time takes.

This article just “confirms” MacBook chips will be using 3mm.

Reactions: hajime

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
there have been reports elsewhere that TSMC already started 3nm mass production - who else than Apple would be on the forefront? so yes, we'll see 3nm Apple chips rather soon
i would like to see these reports, every other credible source i encountered say otherwise, tsmc ceo even stated last month that 3nm won't be ready for delivery til q1 or q2 2023.

Reactions: brucemr

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Yes, TSMC CEO has already said 3nm will enter volume production this year but won’t ship their customers until early 2023 because of how long the wafer cycle time takes.

This article just “confirms” MacBook chips will be using 3mm.

So, if I can't wait until next year, buy now. If I can, just wait for about half a more year?
How likely will they be available before March? I hope they don't just announce them and make us wait for months again. By then, they may announce M3 Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.