Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro announcement, Apple today updated AppleCare+, introducing support for "unlimited repairs," up from two repairs per year.

applecare-plus-unlimited-repairs.jpg

Apple says that AppleCare+ for iPhone "includes unlimited incidents of accidental damage protection," with each one subject to service fees. Screen or back glass damage carries a $29 fee, while other accidental damage carries a $99 fee.

Accidental damage includes physical damage from handling due to unexpected and unintentional events, and it does not cover theft. Apple has a separate Theft and Loss AppleCare+ plan that covers two incidents per calendar year. AppleCare+ for the iPhone is priced at $79 for two years or $3.99 monthly.

Unlimited repairs are also available for the Apple Watch, iPad, and Mac, with the feature applicable to every AppleCare+ plan.

Article Link: AppleCare+ Updated to Cover 'Unlimited Repairs'

dustin_

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2021
Banderas Bay, Mexico
"Apple has a separate Theft and Loss AppleCare+ plan that covers two incidents per calendar year." So will Theft & Loss now include unlimited damage claims & two theft/loss claims? Or will Theft & Loss remain with just two damage claims?

toy547

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2021
Good. It took Apple so many years just to get unlimited repairs on their devices. What the hell?

Reactions: arkitect

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
At some point it is better to just put that amount into savings each month and insure yourself.
Can you clarify? The point of insurance is that you pay a manageable amount per month with the understanding that something MIGHT happen, and if it does, you’re not hit with an enormous financial burden all at once. Saving your AppleCare+ payments for 8 months, say, and then breaking your phone and having to buy a brand new one, isn’t really putting you in a better position risk-wise. Sorry if I’m misunderstanding your point.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Hey that’s awesome, probably costs Apple next to nothing but may help some people decide to get Apple Care now.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Can you clarify? The point of insurance is that you pay a manageable amount per month with the understanding that something MIGHT happen, and if it does, you’re not hit with an enormous financial burden all at once. Saving your AppleCare+ payments for 8 months, say, and then breaking your phone and having to buy a brand new one, isn’t really putting you in a better position risk-wise. Sorry if I’m misunderstanding your point.
There saying if you generally don't damage your stuff then over time it makes more sense to put money aside in case of the freak event that you do damage your device, rather that effectively set money on fire if you never need the insurance.

Insurance is always worth it on things you can't easily replace such as your home or medical insurance where the bills could be extreme without coverage. On a piece of consumer tech it's less necessary even more so if you haven't damaged anything before.

I've never bought Applecare+ and have probably saved enough over the years to buy a new iPhone and I've also never broken a phone.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
At some point it is better to just put that amount into savings each month and insure yourself.

Even more complex now too.

Credit Cards, like Amex and others, are starting to include cell phone protection that will cover you for small deductibles if you damage the phone. So you could get the device repaired for $50 via your CC protection and $0 in Apple Care+ fees or $99 at Apple (assuming a back glass break in both cases) + $200 in Apple Care+ premiums.

dustin_

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2021
Banderas Bay, Mexico
"Apple has a separate Theft and Loss AppleCare+ plan that covers two incidents per calendar year." So will Theft & Loss now include unlimited damage claims & two theft/loss claims? Or will Theft & Loss remain with just two damage claims?
Ah, mine has updated as well. Theft & Loss now includes unlimited damage replacements.

Attachments

• IMG_6D47FE0DE655-1.jpeg
    IMG_6D47FE0DE655-1.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 80

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I figured this was just for iPhone, but just looked at AC+ I have for my S7 Apple Watch and iPad Pro and both state unlimited repairs for accidental damage. Well done Apple!

Reactions: Argoduck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.