Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today indicated that "back-glass only" damage on iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 models is now eligible for repair under AppleCare+ for a reduced fee of $29 in the United States, $39 in Canada, £25 in the UK, or the equivalent in other countries.

f1631642358.jpg

Prior to this change, cracked or damaged back glass on an iPhone 12 cost $99 to be repaired if the device was covered by an AppleCare+ plan.

In order to qualify for the $29 repair, the iPhone must be covered by AppleCare+ and have no additional damage beyond the damaged back glass that would prevent Apple from replacing the back glass, such as a bent or dented enclosure.

Back glass repairs at the reduced rate are not available on models older than the iPhone 12, according to Apple. More details are available on the iPhone Repair and Service website and in the newly updated AppleCare+ terms and conditions.

Article Link: AppleCare+ Now Covers Cracked Back Glass on iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 Models for Reduced $29 Fee

Last edited:

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It's about time—

As far as Apple is concerned (i.e. for trade-in value), breaking the back is just as bad as breaking the front.

And ceramic shield is only on the front; in other words, the back is easier to break, yet for years it has cost $99 to replace the back vs. $29 to replace the screen. And let's not forget: the back doesn't need to be made of glass, a famously breakable material. It was practically a scam, so this is a welcome change.

Last edited:

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
They're still replacing the entire phone, except for the display, battery and cameras (there are images on Twitter by technicians of what they get, it's basically a new phone without those components).

They're not only replacing the glass. That's so time-consuming and inefficient for them.

Craptastic

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2020
But I just ordered my express replacement mini yesterday for a rear cracked glass and paid 99…

sigh.

curtis242

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017
England
I’ve got applecare+ on my iphone 12 pro an i’ve seen after todays event they now offer theft an loss protection in the UK, does anyone know if i can upgrade my standard applecare+ to include the theft an loss protection?

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Breaking the back usually happens when it falls on it’s side since my phone never falls flat, but that’s always the big, that special “part has to break”
at least they did away with rounded corners, which basically guaranteed that your screen would shatter in at least 2 corners when falling :))))

• Haha
Reactions: Apleeseed84

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
All these glass/ceramic/whatever backs and fronts are designed to break or crack at the slightest drop (okay, I'm exaggerating). But from the very beginning -- when Apple introduced using Corning's "Gorilla Glass" on the front of their iPhones, the phones have been more prone to being cracked, stressed, etc., than before.

The buyer shouldn't be charged for anything that Apple and its designers knew (Jony Ivie et al) from the very first day of its release into the Wicked Wild World that these things wouldn't hold up.

"So let's charge them $99 or $49 or whatever." In addition to the AppleCare Plus Coverage.

And then, of course, every so often, Corning announces a newer, stronger, tougher, more break-resistant version of their Gorilla Glass. "But, wait -- uh, I thought the first version was supposed to be strong, tougher,...." Well, you get the point. Gorilla Glass has never been "shatterproof" or "unbreakable." Despite claims from Apple and Corning.

Because everyone wants to always have a pristine, sharp, clear, beautiful iPhone for the next two years.... no matter what the repair costs are ...because, "Hey, I got $50 to trade in last-year's model!"

• Haha
Reactions: ohio.emt

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
They're still replacing the entire phone, except for the display, battery and cameras (there are images on Twitter by technicians of what they get, it's basically a new phone without those components).

They're not only replacing the glass. That's so time-consuming and inefficient for them.
That's good news, I wonder if they would let you pay out of pocket to get the battery replaced during the repair.. Be like a new phone..

Reactions: Blackstick
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.