Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the launch of an updated and more powerful Apple TV 4K with an A12 Bionic chip, Apple today introduced AppleCare+ for Apple TV for the first time, offering customers extended coverage for their Apple TV.

Apple_unveils-the-next-gen-of-AppleTV4K_042021_big.jpg.large_2x.jpg

For the first time, customers can now purchase extended coverage with AppleCare+ for their Apple TV. With extended coverage, customers receive three extra years of protection from the AppleCare+ purchase date and two additional incidents of accidental damage. Previously, Apple only offered standard AppleCare, which offers two years of coverage and no accidental damage.

For both the new generation Apple TV 4K and the older Apple TV HD, AppleCare+ will cost an additional $29, or $4.83 per month for 6 months.

Article Link: AppleCare+ for Apple TV Now Available for the First Time

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
ok, but why? hardly anything happens to it. the most stress this device sees are the button presses on the remote.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Why on earth would you buy apple care at all for a device like this? Its not like it is going to be mobile and prone to breakage and it probably will become functionally obsolete in three years anyway. And good luck getting apple to replace the remote from liquid damage.

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
… and it probably will become functionally obsolete in three years anyway.
I don't think so. The most recent model prior to this one was released in 2017. As in, it was the cutting edge from Apple for nearly 4 years. I still have a 2011 model that I use to AirPlay Disney+ to an old 720p TV. They don't go obsolete quickly.

What I will agree on is that I don't think anything really happens to these devices, so AppleCare+ doesn't make much sense.

CapeCodApple

Suspended
Sep 14, 2018
What’s the difference between AppleCare and AppleCare+? I just saw earlier today that I actually purchased AppleCare for our last AppleTV (lord knows why).

BenGieCruz

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
US/Belgium
This new model and the past 4K model as well don't have a USB port for flashing. Therefore software related bricks are bound to happen and there is nothing you can do except to take it in for a replacement if still under warranty. Believe me I have one of my 4K's just sitting in a drawer as it now doesn't output any video signal and has a eternally blinking light.... paperweight

macsareveryinteresting

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2020
Colorado Springs
This new model and the past 4K model as well don't have a USB port for flashing. Therefore software related bricks are bound to happen and there is nothing you can do except to take it in for a replacement if still under warranty. Believe me I have one of my 4K's just sitting in a drawer as it now doesn't output any video signal and has a eternally blinking light.... paperweight
HDMI is still more important. Knowing people who have projectors or other things.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: WaltCD and ohio.emt

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Why on earth would you buy apple care at all for a device like this? Its not like it is going to be mobile and prone to breakage and it probably will become functionally obsolete in three years anyway.
Probably the same reason people spend $39 on AC+ for their $299 HomePod. Those units fail after 2 years and they aren’t moved or subject to wear and tear.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Looking to get an Apple TV 4th gen on the cheap since they threw my 3rd gen under the bus.

Reactions: WaltCD

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
I had an Apple TV 4K fail on me after a software update, just got a splash screen telling me to go to apple support site. Of course, these new models with no USB port do not allow you to restore the software, had to argue with the apple store to get it replaced outside of warranty. So AppleCare may be useful in some scenarios

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.