Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Blood glucose monitoring technology designed for the Apple Watch is unlikely to launch for several years, Bloomberg journalist Mark Gurman believes.

Apple-Watch-Blood-Glucose-Monitoring-Feature-2.jpg

In February, Gurman reported that Apple has made major progress with its noninvasive blood glucose monitoring technology, allowing diabetics and others to test their blood glucose levels without needing to prick the skin for blood testing.

Apple's system apparently uses a silicon photonics chip to shine light from a laser under the skin to determine the concentration of glucose in the body. In Bloomberg's "Power On" newsletter, Gurman said that Apple "still needs to perfect the algorithms and on-board sensors" to bring the technology to market. Crucially, the company also needs to "shrink it down to the size of a module that can fit in the small and thin package that is an Apple Watch." Gurman believes this process "will take another three to seven years at least."

Apple began working on alternative glucose monitoring methods following its aquisition of RareLight in 2010. The company then used a startup called Avolante Health LLC to develop the technology at a secret facility before moving it to the Exploratory Design Group (XDG).

Apple has been conducting human trials for the past 10 years and seeks to be able to warn Apple Watch users if they are prediabetic to encourage lifestyle changes before diabetes develops. It is believed to be holding early discussions about getting regulatory approval for the technology.

Article Link: Apple Watch Blood Glucose Monitoring Likely Still 'Three to Seven Years' Away

Last edited:

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
This is one of those features where I’ll believe it when I see it. I suspect it’ll never be done.
They've apparently already had the breakthrough that proves it's possible. It's just shrinking it down at this point. Sometimes big advances do happen. When they do, some of us aren't ready for it because we've always only lived in the world before X was possible.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
This is probably the most anticipated feature. Hopefully, Apple can actually pull it off.
Honestly if a company can pull this off in a smart watch, the smart watch will be considered free.

Glucose devices are close to being free, but their consumables.... whew. 0.60 CAD/test.
So if you need to test every day, 220 CAD/year. Seems like a subscription product to me. And you have to take notes and build a graph and interpret it yourself before your doctor if you're a bit more serious about your health.

cdsapplefan

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2023
They've apparently already had the breakthrough that proves it's possible. It's just shrinking it down at this point. Sometimes big advances do happen. When they do, some of us aren't ready for it because we've always only lived in the world before X was possible.
Yeah they found it was possible to be able to achieve this. The next big hurdles will be shrinking the device to micro size and getting government approval for this. The government is not just gonna want apples trials but there own trials before they can give the seal of approval. Consumers would be depending on this device for there glucose health, so it has to be fully working with no malfunctions or errors and fully accurate.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
This is one of those features where I’ll believe it when I see it. I suspect it’ll never be done.
It will happen. The technical aspects are figured out. Miniaturization and reliability/validity are not there yet. They will happen with more iterations of the engineering. The validity comes from finding the correct variables that correspond highly enough with gold standard readings of glucose. That’s the biggest challenge but machine learning will help a lot.

michaeljk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
"Apple has been conducting human trials for the past 10 years and seeks to be able to warn Apple Watch users if they are prediabetic to encourage lifestyle changes before diabetes develops." If this quote from the article is true, it means that Apple's version of blood glucose monitoring is so inaccurate, it will be completely useless to those of us who already have diabetes. It also may be Apple's way of leaking information ahead of any announcement to curtail hopes of a system accurate enough to be used by anyone who actually needs to know their blood glucose levels with any kind of precision. As a Type 1 diabetic for the past three decades, I continue to have noninvasive glucose monitoring on my radar, but don't watch it very closely because the "news" of some breakthrough has not materialized. I think it likely that, in the next 30 years, something useful will be created, but maybe not before I am gone.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I have to say I think a literal revolution in sensors is required for this to work. Every method to take glucose and auger levels involves a drop of blood. I'll be shocked if Apple is first to market with an approved reliable none invasive method of measuring it.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
"Apple has been conducting human trials for the past 10 years and seeks to be able to warn Apple Watch users if they are prediabetic to encourage lifestyle changes before diabetes develops." If this quote from the article is true, it means that Apple's version of blood glucose monitoring is so inaccurate, it will be completely useless to those of us who already have diabetes. It also may be Apple's way of leaking information ahead of any announcement to curtail hopes of a system accurate enough to be used by anyone who actually needs to know their blood glucose levels with any kind of precision. As a Type 1 diabetic for the past three decades, I continue to have noninvasive glucose monitoring on my radar, but don't watch it very closely because the "news" of some breakthrough has not materialized. I think it likely that, in the next 30 years, something useful will be created, but maybe not before I am gone.

Exactly, the only real big change seems to have been those little puck sensors you can wear now that measure your levels, and wirelessly communicate them to a handheld reader. But they are still invasive requiring something to enter the skin.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
This is not intended to judge how much insulin you need. This is intended more for lifestyle changes. When you eat this food, what does it do to your glucose? When you run five miles, what does that do to your glucose? It does not need to be accurate enough to tell you how much of a shot you need to save lives. It could prevent many people from ever needing to start insulin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.