Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is considering launching its first foldable in the next few years in the form of a 7- to 8-inch device that could ultimately replace the 8.3-inch iPad mini.

FoldPad-Redux-24-Magenta-and-Blue.jpg

That's the latest claim to come out of Korean outlet The Elec. According to the report, Apple is reviewing a launch timeframe for the device between 2026 and 2027.

However, Apple is also actively developing an OLED iPad mini, so there remains uncertainty within Apple about the nature and specifications of the foldable. Speculation reportedly remains rife in the industry around whether it will be a foldable iPhone or foldable iPad model.

Samsung Display and LG Display have reportedly already been sending samples of 7-inch and 8-inch foldable panels to Apple since last year.

Among the panel companies, Samsung is said to be more active in developing Apple foldable panels than LG, and is the more likely primary supplier of a foldable panel if Apple decides on a 2026 release.

Apple, Samsung Display, and LG Display are also said to have "different ideas" about the ultra-thin glass material, foldable panel cover window, and the hinge concept, which is at the core of the product's mechanism. These differences reportedly involve contrasting judgements concerning product durability and reliability.

Once mass production is decided, Samsung is expected to create the foldable panel in the 6th generation A3 or A4 OLED line that it uses to make OLED panels for Apple's iPhones.

According to the report, Apple is also working on a larger 20.5-inch foldable product that is expected to be released later than the 7- to 8-inch device. The larger foldable has been rumored before by both The Elec, Bloomberg, and Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC) analyst Ross Young. Young has also previously said that he expects a foldable tablet-like device in 2026 or 2027.

Article Link: Apple to Launch Foldable As Early As 2026 That Could Ultimately Replace iPad Mini

Last edited:

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
we heard this foldable that will launch ..since 2018, it will launch in 2024, no, in 2025, no now its 2026...come on
At this early stage, its at most a prototype and we all know that many apples prototypes dont see the light of the day...hey even announced products like their pad wireless charging didnt see the light
When we will start hearing rumours about foldable to be release "next year" then we are into something, but not with 3-4 years in advance

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
foldable phones are stupid and never made sense to me.

foldable tablets however, I can see it.
I'd like to see one of the "rollable" devices come to fruition, but even more than the concepts that have come out so far.

Something "medium phone" size as a phone - then you roll it out, and what was the long side becomes the short side of a tablet-size device. Of course, keeping rigidity/stiffness in that would be nigh-impossible.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
"It is estimated that the difference in judgment between product durability and reliability is the cause."

For all of Apple's faults, shipping substandard products isn't generally speaking one of them.

I don't understand the experience of foldable phones well enough to say whether I would want one or not, but I hope the foldable screen technology gets there - if for no other reason but so that we can finally have some new and different form factors in our phones.

Last edited:

J.A.K.

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2023
Again I have to ask, do people really want this?

Foldables do seem to be getting better as the money is spent advancing the tech, but from what I've seen, they still leave a lot to be desired and offer no significant advantage for their substantial increase in price. Are there really people clamouring for foldables that the market is even there for this?

cdsapplefan

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2023
I’ll buy a OLED iPad Mini, but yeah the iPad needs to differentiate itself from the iPhone as the iPhone will be getting bigger size next year and could be too similar to a iPad Mini size

The iPad will need to break off into a foldable segment to help differentiate from the iPhone segment

Reactions: gusmula

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin

It's the opposite for me. A tablet is something I mostly use stationary (sitting on a train, sitting on the couch, etc.) and also does not have the capability to make actual phone calls or texts (unless you maybe buy the mobile data version idk - FaceTime does not count) while the phone is always with me and sometimes it would be very neat to make it bigger to watch YouTube or something on the go while I dont need it as big when I simply want to text or check instagram. With a tablet it seems like the "big" folded out set up would be "default"

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Bring back more accessories like AirPort, better HomeKit infrastructure

I'd like to see one of the "rollable" devices come to fruition, but even more than the concepts that have come out so far.

Something "medium phone" size as a phone - then you roll it out, and what was the long side becomes the short side of a tablet-size device. Of course, keeping rigidity/stiffness in that would be nigh-impossible.
Rollable devices definitely seem that the best way to avoid the hinge / creasing issues

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
Look at the price of folding devices from the competition. IPad mini already has a price point, and I doubt redesigning it to fold will vastly change its value proposition for consumers.

Also. Do we really think Apple’s first folding device will be sub 1000 dollars?

Apples entry into new markets is very rarely more affordable than the competition, is it.

I call ******** on this one.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple is considering launching its first foldable in the next few years in the form of a 7- to 8-inch device that could ultimately replace the 8.3-inch iPad mini.

That's the latest claim to come out of Korean outlet The Elec. According to the report, Apple is reviewing a launch timeframe for the device between 2026 and 2027.
Thats a just a folding phone rumor not something for a iPad. You can't have iPadOS dealing with a phone resolution opening up to a iPad resolution. That would be just iOS. iPads can be quite rugged in a protective case, a folding iPad would not be the same durability.

If Apple finally wants to sell a 8.3" IPadOS based iPhone then that might tempt some.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Can I just say that what sets Apple apart from anyone is the scrutiny which we all place on it and its products.

People here are arguing about many of the issues with a foldable phone (and every other piece of Apple HW, SW, and services), but I doubt you'd ever see anything like that with a product from Samsung.

Why? Because no one believes Samsung is going to sweat the details, so our expectations for their products are significantly lower.

But with Apple, we nitpick every little thing and it's glorious because it means we care about the products and tools we use.

Sure, there are fan sites for Samsung and Android, but those communities are tiny compared to Apple. For instance, remember when Samsung used an existing image of the moon to make it seem like their phone had super long distance lenses to photo the moon?

Apple would have been skewered over hot coals not just on fan sites but in every major publication on earth. But when Samsung does it, the outrage was mild and best and I doubt many people even remember it now.

All I'm saying is that there's a reason for that.

Last edited:

MacFarmer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
dang, then I need to get one before this happens. Definitely foldable is not for me. Who would wand an inferior tech. The grease looks terrible, and they are not durable at all. I can't imagine who the foldable would meet apples display quality.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Speculation reportedly remains rife in the industry around whether it will be a foldable iPhone or foldable iPad model.​
Wait, so the iPhone Pro Max is going to be 6.9 inches this year, and they are thinking that a later iPad will possibly be an unfolded 7? I guess that could make it small and light enough to not weigh down the matching flying pigs, but I don’t see how those pigs will be able to afford it.

The folded size for that would be smaller than an iPhone mini wouldn’t it, though the tech would be pricey, even for the mini fans. But I could see it appealing more to that crowd than the iPad mini crowd, though I’m in both those crowds, so I’m probably just confused by such a strange rumour. o_O

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Can I just say that what sets Apple apart from anyone is the scrutiny which we all place on it and its products.

People here are arguing about many of the issues with a foldable phone (and every other piece of Apple HW, SW, and services), but I doubt you'd ever see anything like that with a product from Samsung.

Why? Because no one believes Samsung is going to sweat the details, so our expectations for their products are significantly lower.

But with Apple, we nitpick every little thing and it's glorious because it means we care about the products and tools we use.
I guess you do not go to any of the Android sites? Lots of details are sweated and discussed in extreme detail. I usually don’t notice as many comments from iPhone fans hanging out there as from Android fans here, but there are some.

Samsung makes some very nice hardware, and it definitely looks like they sweat many details. The world is a rather large place with room for variety and I’m thankful for the competition that keeps companies trying harder.

Dater

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
What an utter nonsense! Did you ever hold one in your hand? do you even realize the display cover is just plastic, not glass? It scratches super easy and you can't put tempered glass on it. Just a special Samsung screen protector. And you are not allowed to remove the screen protector by yourself because you could damage the plastic screen underneath.

Foldable phones will vanish as quickly as curved TV's and 3d TVs... well the latter may come back in the future because mobile phones can record 3d videos now and Meta Quest and Apple Vision Pro can play them...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.