Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has confirmed to The Verge and some other publications that it has no plans to release a new 27-inch iMac with Apple silicon.

iMac-Pro-2022-27-and-24-iMac.jpg

Apple discontinued both the Intel-based 27-inch iMac and iMac Pro over the past two years, and it has yet to launch a larger-screen iMac with an Apple silicon chip as a replacement, leaving the recently-updated 24-inch iMac with the M3 chip as its only all-in-one desktop computer. For customers who want a larger or higher-end desktop, Apple recommends pairing the 27-inch Studio Display with a Mac Studio or Mac mini.

From the report:
Apple will not be making an Apple Silicon version of the 27-inch iMac to replace the Intel-equipped model that it discontinued in 2022. The company is instead focusing the iMac line around the 24-inch model that was first released in early 2021 and just updated with the new M3 processor this fall.

Apple PR representative Starlayne Meza confirmed the company's plans to The Verge. The company encourages those who have been holding out hope for a larger iMac to consider the Studio Display and Mac Studio or Mac mini.
Apple has only ruled out a new 27-inch iMac, so a larger-screened iMac is still possible. Last month, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said Apple was still developing an iMac Pro with a 32-inch display for release in late 2024 or in 2025. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also expects a 32-inch iMac with mini-LED display backlighting to launch in 2025.

Article Link: Apple Says There Won't Be a 27-Inch iMac With Apple Silicon

Last edited:

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Not releasing one was a pretty strong clue.

I went from a 27” iMac to a Mac Studio and Studio Display when they launched. I‘m actually happier with this setup. With the iMac form I had to hold onto it a bit longer to justify the cost of upgrading.

The Mac Studio and Studio Display I bought cost about the same as a loaded iMac Pro, but it should be less expensive to upgrade just the computer moving forward while keeping the display longer.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
That is extremely disappointing. I want to replace my 2015 iMac and I don't want a mac studio or mac mini. Really really disappointing. I don't know what to do now. I may get the 14 MBP and pair it with a BenQ monitor. I will not get the overpriced studio display. WHY APPLE??????
A 27" iMac 5K would probably not have been much cheaper than a Mini + Apple Studio Display.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Either they're actually developing a pro-level iMac with a 30" or greater display, or they still want to reserve the iMac for the consumer and education markets. It's too bad, because the 27" Retina iMac has proven popular with professional users. The Fine Arts building at my college campus has a bunch of them. Though our TV studio director is looking to upgrade one of the building's Mac labs by going with either Mac Studios or M2 Pro Mac Minis, but rather than the pricey Apple Studio Displays, they'll go with a decent third-party UHD display that works with those Macs. (One lab used to have 2012 quad-core i7 Mac Minis using such third-party monitors, before they replaced them a few years back with 27" Retina iMacs.)

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
When you look at what Apple has been doing lately, it's aggressive segmentation everywhere. You can say a Studio Display and Mac Studio is more expensive, and Apple is fine with that, because they know consumers who care about that level of performance will buy it anyway.

In other words, get over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.