Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently updated its iOS 15 features page to indicate that Find My network support for AirPods Pro and AirPods Max has been delayed until "later this fall," implying that the feature will not be available with the initial release of iOS 15.

Find-My-AirPods-Feature.jpg

Apple did not provide a reason for the delay, but several other iOS 15 features will not be available until later this year either, such as SharePlay, Legacy Contacts, the ability to add a driver's license or state ID to the Wallet app, and more. Apple also labeled iCloud Private Relay as a beta feature last month.

If you lose your AirPods Pro or AirPods Max and someone else with an ‌iPhone‌, iPad, or Mac comes close to them, the Find My network will be able to relay an approximate location of the headphones securely and privately back to you. The feature is designed to help you get within Bluetooth range of the AirPods so you can play a sound and locate them.

iOS 15 will be released tomorrow following over three months of beta testing. The software update is compatible with the same iPhones as iOS 14, including older devices like the original iPhone SE and iPhone 6s. iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, and tvOS 15 will also be released tomorrow, while a release date for macOS Monterey has yet to be announced.

(Hat tip to Michael Burkhardt!)

Article Link: Apple Says Find My Network Support for AirPods Delayed Until Later This Fall

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Cant wait for this!!!! The FindMy for AirPods is TRASH. If I lose them around my house, it does nothing until I find them myself. Today I couldnt find them in another room and I finally found them and opened the case and my iPhone said "Oh....yeah your AirPods Pro have been found....youre welcome babe."

antnythr

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2020
At this point all of the point releases this year are just going to be bringing all the features we thought were going to be in the .0
This has been par for the course the last few releases. Seems surprising for 15 since at least on the surface it’s pretty light on features.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Meanwhile I’m still waiting for that iOS 14 feature (EV Routing) to release which is still listed as “coming soon”.

Reactions: seinman

antnythr

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2020
Seems like Apple keeps announcing features but they won’t come until a later 15.x update. I’m not really sure what is actually going to be new in tomorrow’s update.
New UI for Safari is about it. I think after all the betas they’ve got it in pretty good shape (though not everyone agrees).

Macropanda

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
So iPads will be getting the iOS 14 update from last year (widgets and App Library) and iPhones are getting text recognition and new safari. Very disappointing.

the things I was most looking forward too was offline Siri so I can choose music in the car when I don’t have signal but even that’s limited to changing device settings. What actual use is it to be able to change the screen brightness when you don’t have signal????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.