Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today published a new support document with additional details about the new always-on display mode on the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max. Notably, the document lists eight scenarios where the always-on display temporarily turns off.

iphone-14-pro-always-on-display.jpeg

To save battery life, Apple says the display goes completely dark when:
  • Your iPhone is lying face down
  • Your iPhone is in your pocket or bag
  • Sleep Focus is on
  • Low Power Mode is on
  • Your iPhone is connected to CarPlay
  • You're using Continuity Camera
  • You haven't used your iPhone for a while (see paragraph below)
  • Your iPhone detects that you moved away from it with a paired Apple Watch
According to Apple, the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max can learn your "activity patterns" and turns the always-on display off and on accordingly. For example, Apple says the display can work in tandem with a user's alarm or sleep schedule if they have one set.

Always-on display mode is enabled by default. To turn it off, open the Settings app, tap on the Display & Brightness menu, and turn off Always On.

iPhone 14 Pro models can drop down to a refresh rate as low as 1Hz to ensure that the always-on display does not have too significant of an impact on battery life. Apple says the always-on display uses multiple coprocessors in the A16 Bionic chip to refresh the display using "minimal power," making the display "incredibly power efficient."

Always-on display mode dims the entire Lock Screen, but still shows information like the time, widgets, and wallpaper. Once you raise the iPhone, tap the screen, or press the side button, the display returns to normal brightness. You can also swipe up from the bottom of the display and authenticate with Face ID to wake the iPhone as usual.

Article Link: Apple Reveals 8 Scenarios Where iPhone 14 Pro's Always-On Display Turns Off

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
According to the article it turns off when sleep focus is on.

I guess this means it won't serve as a bedside clock overnight when on a charger stand? I was kind of hoping for that!

Reactions: bejib66000

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
What about burn-in? That’s my biggest concern, and along with battery degradation, will be the reason I disable the always-on display feature once I get the phone.

Reactions: Boyyai and seajewel

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
OK, I was skeptical at first but after reading this, sounds like a good implementation. Perhaps eventually as battery life improves in future models this can be an optional setting (with the exception of low power, sleep focus, CarPlay, and continuity camera, all for obvious reasons).

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
How long is "a while"? I mean seriously Apple, how hard is it to just tell people that "the iPhone AoD will turn off after x minutes of you are not using your iPhone." What's so difficult in simply saying a number instead of "a while."
  • You haven't used your iPhone for a while (your iPhone learns your activity patterns and turns the display off and on accordingly, including if you set up an alarm or sleep schedule)

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
This screenshot is interesting. Looks like they thought about having pill and holepunch at one point before they came up with dynamic island.

View attachment 2065393

More so, I would put my money on:
The dynamic island was top secret and was on a need to know basis but everyone else still had to do their job well ahead of time. Like documenting the AOD display.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
According to the article it turns off when sleep focus is on.

I guess this means it won't serve as a bedside clock overnight when on a charger stand? I was kind of hoping for that!

You can turn this off. It's in the filters for the Sleep Focus. Focuses are highly customizable. I'm really impressed at how far it's come in just 2 gens.

BoomTIP

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2020
How long is "a while"? I mean seriously Apple, how hard is it to just tell people that "the iPhone AoD will turn off after x minutes of you are not using your iPhone." What's so difficult in simply saying a number instead of "a while."
Maybe because it’s not a number? They clearly state it learns your patterns and adjusts. “A while“ for one person might be 15min, “a while” might be 3 hours for another...

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Maybe because it’s not a number? They clearly state it learns your patterns and adjusts. “A while“ for one person might be 15min, “a while” might be 3 hours for another...
Right, but tell us the algorithm. And how does it know it's in a bag or pocket? Proximity sensors (sensing something close to it or against it) + light sensors?

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
OK, I was skeptical at first but after reading this, sounds like a good implementation. Perhaps eventually as battery life improves in future models this can be an optional setting (with the exception of low power, sleep focus, CarPlay, and continuity camera, all for obvious reasons).
Always on display is optional and can be turned off.

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I was excited about an always on display because I thought it would allow for new text or email notifications. Unless I'm missing something that doesn't seem to be the case?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
And there is code that will instruct the OS to turn off the screen after the set variable conditions are met, and that variable will have a number.
You cannot program with "a while," you have to have a specific formula/number.

Jhove

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
"A while" is defined as from you put down the phone until just a split second before you look back at it on your desk expecting it to be on to check something.
😂😂. Right like who cares as long as the battery lasts and it turns on "while" I'm using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.