Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new version of the MagSafe Wallet, now featuring support for the Find My network and five new color options.

magsafe-wallet-find-my.jpg

The new MagSafe Wallet can now give the location where it was last separated from your iPhone in the Find My app:

Designed with both style and function in mind, the new iPhone Leather Wallet with MagSafe is the perfect way to keep your ID and credit cards close at hand. It now supports Find My, so you can be notified of your wallet's last known location if it gets separated from your phone.

Other than new color options, the MagSafe Wallet continues to be made from tanned European leather with the same shielded design that can contain up to three cards.

The new MagSafe Wallet is compatible with the iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max, as well as the iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max. For reasons that are not yet known, the MagSafe Wallet's Find My functionality does not work when the wallet is used with Apple's Clear Case.

The new MagSafe Wallet is available now for $59 in Golden Brown, Dark Cherry, Sequoia Green, Midnight, and Wisteria.

Article Link: Apple Releases New MagSafe Wallet With Find My Support

• Haha
Reactions: ohio.emt

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I feel like this was a hugely missing feature. Makes this wallet even more worth it. Especially for us card only people.

Reactions: macsound1

StudyFlo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Is this going to be added to the old wallet? It sounds like a purely iOS feature to know when it was removed. And the current wallet makes a noise and vibrate when you remove it.
at first it seemed like basically an AirTag - but now I'm pretty sure it just remembers the last location of the iPhone when the wallet has been removed (probably noticing that the NFC tag in the Magsafe Wallet is no longer close and then saving the GPS coordinates. Nice feature, but not an AirTag-like experience.
Will probably work with iPhone 12 as well.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I feel like this needs a bit more detail. When you look at the store, it says nothing in the title about the feature. You have to find it with a two star lower comment.

Reactions: miniyou64

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
at first it seemed like basically an AirTag - but now I'm pretty sure it just remembers the last location of the iPhone when the wallet has been removed (probably noticing that the NFC tag in the Magsafe Wallet is no longer close and then saving the GPS coordinates. Nice feature, but not an AirTag-like experience.
Will probably work with iPhone 12 as well.
The store includes iPhone 12 in the product notes. So, anything with MagSafe.

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
I ordered one based on "find my" support but may cancel that if that really just means the phone remembers when the wallet was disconnected. that really doesn't add very much usefulness (and isn't find my support in terms of tracking or location). I am much more likely to lose (or misplace) the wallet if it wasn't attached to the phone.

davidako

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
Only apple.

Adding tracking to an accessory that should be on your phone.

Instead of fixing it so it stays attached they add tracking so you can find it when it inevitably falls off.

Software costs less than stronger magnets.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I can only add this so far. With my wallet attached to my release candidate updated iPhone 12 Pro Max I see nothing in find my that would suggest my current wallet would be found.

Radin.Y

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Michigan

Theydonboi

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
This is NOT going to be a software update that can be applied to older wallets.

In terms of “find me” functionality, think AirPods case rather than AirTags.

I think there may be some kind of (minimal) charging back to the Wallet when it’s attached to the phone. Probably why it’s not “compatible” with some of the cases.

Last edited:

cjgrif

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Salisbury, MD
It also does not work with the Apple clear case for whatever reason as stated only in the FINE PRINT no one reads
I noticed my original MagSafe wallet does not show the wallet animation when it is attached through the clear case either, but makes the haptic feedback when it is removed. It works fine without the case. I wonder if that's the same issue, and what is off about the clear case?

davidako

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
I ordered one based on "find my" support but may cancel that if that really just means the phone remembers when the wallet was disconnected. that really doesn't add very much usefulness (and isn't find my support in terms of tracking or location). I am much more likely to lose (or misplace) the wallet if it wasn't attached to the phone.

I’ve been using a small card only wallet for years. Never come close to losing it. The key is to keep it in a different pocket than your phone. I take my wallet out a couple of times a day. I take my phone out a hundred times a day. Putting your wallet in the same pocket as your phone and relying on weak magnets and a software feature to notify you when you inevitably pull out the phone and the wallet falls is just a matter of time until you lose it.

Etienooo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
People should stop pushing the YouTubers’ narrative that the wallet doesn’t hold to the phone. After a year of use it never fell and the magnet are just at the perfect strength for the wallet to stay attached but be easily removed when pushing on its edge.

My only complaint with this wallet is that as you keep pushing on its edges to detach it the paint is moving away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.