Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Hey everyone,

I’m debating between the Apple Pencil (USB-C) and the Apple Pencil Pro for my iPad. My primary uses are note-taking and marking up PDFs, often using different colors and writing tools.

I understand that the USB-C Pencil requires a cable to charge, which seems like a small inconvenience compared to the price difference. Is this really that big of a deal? The Pro model offers features like the squeeze option and improved pressure sensitivity. While these sound cool, I wonder if they are truly beneficial for my needs, which aren’t artistic but more about everyday writing and annotation.

I’m leaning towards the USB-C Pencil because of the cost savings, but I’d love to hear from anyone who has used both. How significant are the extra features for tasks like mine? Would I miss them?

Thanks in advance!

biopig

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
if you have multiple iPads and/or Apple Pencils, then the USB-C one is a No Go. I tried it, and it requires USB connection EVERY SINGLE TIME when you switch between different iPads, or just because you snapped another Apple Pencil. It's such a pain in the arsh. Plus, it lacks the tap to switch tools. The price difference doesn't make up the pain it causes. I returned it the next day I got it.

Reactions: stanza.richi

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
That’s a very reasonable point. I didn’t think of that. I believe I will get the Pro, even though it may be overkill for my needs.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
If you don’t need pressure sensitivity (which you probably don’t for note taking), there are inexpensive clone pencils that charge magnetically available on Amazon for $30 or less. This is one I got for spare iPads and it seems to work fine. You do have to tap the button on the top to turn it on but it charges when attached to the iPad and writes fine.

Reactions: nicho

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
That’s a very reasonable point. I didn’t think of that. I believe I will get the Pro, even though it may be overkill for my needs.
The pro doesn’t work on older iPads. But if you write everyday with it, having wireless charging is so nice. And the other features are a nice bonus as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.