Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is exploring new suppliers for OLED-on-Silicon panels, likely signaling the development of a more affordable headset destined to sit alongside the Vision Pro, The Elec reports.

apple-vision-pro-lenses.jpg

The Korean website has apparently detected a shift in Apple's supply chain management for OLED-on-Silicon (OLEDoS) panels, a key component in the Vision Pro headset. Currently, Sony provides these high-resolution microdisplays, but its limited production capacity of up to 900,000 panels per year and lack of expansion plans have prompted Apple to seek alternatives for the future. Apple has apparently issued a request for information (RFI) to Samsung Display and LG Display to evaluate their capabilities in producing larger OLEDoS panels, ranging from 2.0 to 2.1 inches in size with a display density of around 1,700 pixels per inch (PPI).

These displays would be larger than those currently used in the Vision Pro and feature a lower resolution. The Vision Pro uses Sony's OLEDoS panels featuring a 1.42-inch screen with a pixel density of nearly 3,400 PPI, employing a white OLED display with color filter (wOLED+CF) technology. This sophisticated display technology is one of the main reasons for the headset's high price point.

At Displayweek 2024, both Samsung and LG showcased advancements in OLED microdisplay technology that could appeal to Apple. Samsung presented a 1.03-inch RGB (direct-emission) OLED microdisplay, developed in collaboration with eMagin, which promises higher brightness levels compared to the wOLED+CF method. Meanwhile, LG revealed a 10,000 nits 1.3-inch 4K OLED microdisplay, utilizing a micro lens array (MLA) to boost brightness by around 40 percent.

Apple's interest in larger OLEDoS panels with lower resolution than those used in the Vision Pro suggests these could be intended for a new, lower-cost mixed reality headset. Apple has been rumored to be working on such a device for over a year, and the latest indications suggest that it may be designed to tether to an iPhone or Mac to eliminate the need for a costly processor. The lower-cost Apple Vision headset could launch as soon as the end of next year.

Article Link: Apple Likely Planning to Use Bigger, Lower Resolution Displays for Cheaper Vision Headset

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Problem is, lower price for a worse product doesn’t necessarily make it a commercial success.

One of the distinct advantages of AVP is its resolution, and what that enables.
But it's overkill. If the rumor is true and it has half the resolution, it would still be a significantly higher pixel density compared to the Quest Pro.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why didn’t they release this one first for people to get an introduction into VR, getting them hooked and then release a better product with people always wanting the latest and greatest.

Now they have already alienated a lot of people with this unreachable price and not wanting something „inferior“ either
That’s a good question. This isn’t like an iPod where there are cheaper variations that make sense and will sell easily.

Reactions: UnbreakableAlex

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Why didn’t they release this one first for people to get an introduction into VR, getting them hooked and then release a better product with people always wanting the latest and greatest.

Now they have already alienated a lot of people with this unreachable price and not wanting something „inferior“ either
No one will get hooked on your device unless you have a full catalog which takes years to develop. And developers don't want to spend hours everyday wearing a headset and developing apps if it's not comfortable with high resolution and low latency. Developers need to experience the best to realize its full potential. So Apple released the best version at the time really just for developers and some early adopters with lots of extra money. Looking back now, I think they should've only released to developers for the first year and not allowed anyone without a developer account to order. At least that way there would still be some mystery to the experience and pent up demand by consumers for a cheaper, gen 2 release.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Yep I was waiting for cheaper lower quality vr from Apple lol. But honestly many wouldn’t even notice the difference. And you have to wonder if most vision or iPad apps are even streaming in 4k. Text and Mac virtual screens would be more noticeable.

Reactions: ttyRazor

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
It’s not the cost that’s stopping me, it’s the fact I hate VR as much as that ridiculous face mask.

Yep. I’m still not working with a headset pressed tightly against face for hours. That’s not happening.

And once again the movies look great. But you’ll quickly lose interest doing that. Not worth the discomfort. Hard to drink or eat. Or share. And you look like you’ve been in a wreck afterwards.

Get a large screen oled and hang on wall. Much better.

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
Who even wants this? It's cool as a tech demo, but I feel it's never gonna catch on as a consumer product. Maybe for short gaming sessions, but other than that I don't see it. Even less so with those prices.

cdsapplefan

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2023
Apple getting the ball rolling quickly on this cheaper version of the Vision Pro headset. They know price is the key thing that’s stopping people from even considering buying

Reactions: Huck

miiwtoo

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2018
You keep your phone 📱 by your side most of the time anyway so why not use your iPhone 📱 for some processing power
battery for example and the most important thing, i don't want a bigger iOS but the same user experience, just like the "Pro" model,

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Makes sense, even though some people insisted Apple wouldn't cut the resolution. Practically, it's only spec that can significant lower the cost. Larger panels that are as bright as before, but lower res.
I still don’t believe they’re going to do this. If they’re putting out a request for information on these matters it’s means they are testing.

I still think the AVP set the minimum experience standards that Apple wants to operate in this space with what they consider “retina quality”.

We’ll see, but I don’t see the resolution dropping that much unless the PPI for the AVP was complete overkill for the “retina” level…which I doubt as well.

Reactions: doelcm82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.