Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung Display and LG Display have been granted approval for mass production of OLED screens for Apple's upcoming iPhone 16 Pro models, Korea's The Elec reports.

Apple-iPhone-15-Pro-lineup-Action-button-230912.jpg

Both suppliers apparently received approval earlier this month, paving the way for the commencement of mass production of screens for the iPhone 16 Pro models. While Samsung Display will supply OLED screens for all four iPhone 16 models, LG Display will supply screens exclusively for the Pro models. Additionally, BOE is expected to help supply OLED displays for the iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus.

The development is particularly noteworthy for LG, which has historically struggled to meet Apple's production deadlines. Last year, LG Display received approval for the iPhone 15 Pro OLED screens several months after Samsung Display, allowing Samsung to increase its market share and secure higher prices.

Samsung Display is expected to undergo the approval process for the iPhone 16 Pro Max's OLED screens by the end of this month, with LG Display scheduled to follow in the middle of June. Currently, Samsung Display has received approval for the standard iPhone 16 and the iPhone 16 Pro, with the Plus and Pro Max models soon to follow.

The Elec claims that differences between the OLED displays for the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro are minimal, but the bezels may be slightly thinner thanks to Border Reduction Structure (BRS) technology. The entire iPhone 16 lineup is expected to launch in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Green-Lights iPhone 16 Pro Display Production

Reactions: bb9 and JapanApple

iMac The Knife

macrumors member
May 22, 2024
Even if I hadn't bailed on the iPhone after the 12 Pro Max, I still wouldn't be interested in the iPhone 16 (10.6 really). I am all for people getting excited for updated Apple products, because I remember how much I used to enjoy it...but, I don't understand how people can even get remotely excited about Apple products anymore.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Here we go with the tutti-fruitti, phoney-baloney, plastic banana, good time, rock-n-roll Apple PR “leaks.” Apple didn’t just “green light” anything. The display has been locked-in for months. This is just the start of normal production that was scheduled many months ago.

bootswiththefur

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
On an iPhone 12 mini. Decided to hold off on the 15 pro max because it just doesn’t feel like it brought enough changes for me So I decided to replace the battery on my 12 mini. It’s running better but it still feels “sluggish” now. Should I get the 16 pro max or wait for the maybe redesigned iPhone 17?

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
On an iPhone 12 mini. Decided to hold off on the 15 pro max because it just doesn’t feel like it brought enough changes for me So I decided to replace the battery on my 12 mini. It’s running better but it still feels “sluggish” now. Should I get the 16 pro max or wait for the maybe redesigned iPhone 17?
iPhone 16 Pro Max but if you are talking about regular iPhone than iPhone 17 will

bb9

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2017
Will see get a tandem OLED display like the new ipad pros? 🤞

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.