Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is now providing customers who have faced a costly out-of-pocket repair for an iPhone or Mac with a second chance to purchase AppleCare+ coverage for the device, although there are some strings attached to the policy.

applecare-apple-care-banner.jpg

In an internal memo this week, obtained by MacRumors, Apple said customers who had an iPhone or Mac repaired at an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider are now eligible to purchase AppleCare+ for the device, so long as the device was purchased less than one year ago and passes a physical inspection and diagnostics after repair.

For customers who are unsure if their iPhone was repaired by an Apple Authorized Service Provider, iOS 15.2 introduces a new "Parts and Service History" in Settings > General > About that indicates if components like the battery and display are genuine Apple parts. The software update is expected to be released as early as next week.

Customers are still required to pay Apple's full out-of-warranty fees for any repairs completed prior to purchasing AppleCare+ coverage for the device.

An example scenario: A customer named John purchases a new iPhone, but he decides not to pay for AppleCare+ coverage for the device. A few months later, John drops the iPhone and the display is cracked. John takes the iPhone to an Apple Store to be repaired and faces costly out-of-warranty service fees since he decided not to purchase AppleCare+. Since the iPhone is less than one year old, John is advised that he can still purchase AppleCare+ for the device so that any subsequent repairs aren't as expensive.

The policy is in effect at Apple Store and Apple Authorized Service Provider locations in all countries and regions where AppleCare+ is available.

This expanded AppleCare+ eligibility for repaired iPhones and Macs should further boost Apple's services revenue, which hit a record $18.27 billion last quarter.

Article Link: Apple Giving Customers a Second Chance to Buy AppleCare+ After Their iPhone or Mac is Repaired

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Just a reminder for some people that it may be worth checking if your credit card will cover this. I bought my iPhone 13 Pro full price with my American Express card which extends the factory warranty by 12 months (2 years) and by paying for my cell phone bill with Visible with my Amex card, they extend to me an $800 per incident damage coverage for every 30 days I pay my phone bill. So in that scenario, if I have a cost to repair my iPhone for a damage scenario, I submit the receipt from the Apple Store to Amex and they reimburse me up to $800.

This is why I stopped buying AppleCare+ on my iPhones but I do continue to put it on my MacBook Pro which still works to my advantage because even though I won't get damage coverage through Amex they will add 1 year to my 3 year warranty since I attached AppleCare at the time of purchase so my MacBook Pro has a 4 year warranty for hardware failures not related to damage.

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
So now Apple not only gets the expensive repair fees, they get the AppleCare sales too. 😂👍

Yes, and seems to fit with Apple’s contortionist logic these days, where their position on repair rights, human rights, privacy rights, and environmental concerns are all open to hypocrisy and nuance — so long as Apple is making money off it. SMH.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Just a reminder for some people that it may be worth checking if your credit card will cover this. I bought my iPhone 13 Pro full price with my American Express card which extends the factory warranty by 12 months (2 years) and by paying for my cell phone bill with Visible with my Amex card, they extend to me an $800 per incident damage coverage for every 30 days I pay my phone bill. So in that scenario, if I have a cost to repair my iPhone for a damage scenario, I submit the receipt from the Apple Store to Amex and they reimburse me up to $800.

This is why I stopped buying AppleCare+ on my iPhones but I do continue to put it on my MacBook Pro which still works to my advantage because even though I won't get damage coverage through Amex they will add 1 year to my 3 year warranty since I attached AppleCare at the time of purchase so my MacBook Pro has a 4 year warranty for hardware failures not related to damage.
This is one of the primary reasons I still have my AMEX card. I haven't had any scenarios yet where the extra warranty has come into play, but it's good to have that peace of mind.

sjalfr

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Thin air
Over 15 years of buying Apple products, I've never paid for Apple Care. I estimate that I have saved closed to 3000 CA$. I have had one incident (dropping my iPad Pro) which cost me 600 CA$. I've had a screen replaced on a MacBook Pro (Apple extended program, so free). I am therefore 2400 CA$ in the black. So unless you are a total klutz... you are a chump ;-) All kidding aside, I guess if you use your devices in unsafe environments, it may be worth it.

Reactions: ilikewhey

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
You have 60 days after initial purchase, and Apple may require you to run special software to determine eligibility.
You have a year nowadays to purchase AppleCare+. For the first 60 days, there is no proof needed. After 60 days, you have to have it inspected at an Apple Store to add AppleCare+

CmdrPuffin

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2013
If you don’t have to have the product repaired though, do you still have a year to add AppleCare?
In store you have the ability to add AppleCare up to a year after purchase. After 60 days though they have to run a test on your machine to make sure it passes all hardware checks.

Reactions: iamMacPerson

hushblade

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2021
This article is really misleading. This has nothing to do with a cash grab. And Apple retail has been doing this about two years now.

Everything is as it always was, except if someone wants to buy AppleCare+ after 60 days, and
  • it’s less than one year old
  • it’s not damaged (or they’re willing to pay to fix the damage)
  • their device hasn’t already been swapped out for another serial number
then Apple can do it.

It would seem the only thing that’s new is that AASP’s can now do this, which is awesome.

Reactions: SFjohn

Runequester

macrumors regular
May 24, 2021
If they didnt do this, people would be moaning that they didn't. Now that they do, people moan that its an option.

And while apple crap is expensive, people are imagining things if they think PC repairs are substantially cheaper. Ive had several laptops repaired in the last couple years and even simple keyboard replacements are expensive as crap.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Can confirm.

Just had my Pro Display replaced under warranty (11+ month after purchase), I had no AppleCare+.
When I check for warranty coverage under the new display's serial number, I now have the option to purchase AC+ for $179 year/$499 for 3 years.

Craptastic

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2020
This has been a pilot program at Apple Stores for a few years now. Glad its been instituted as permanent.

I guess Apple Care no longer needs to be purchased for the item before the service transaction is actually transacted.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
I've rolled the dice and it's paid off. I've only required AppleCare once (that I didn't have) from a drop, and at the end of the day I ended up shelling out $900 for the repair. In contrast, based on the 20-30 computers and phones I've bought over the years, it's a net win.

It may be worth it for kids or certain environments, but in truth, Apple hardware is so solid, if it doesn't break in the first year, you're probably good for a really long haul. The only exception would be spinning hard drives, which are extinct (and inexpensive). Also, get a good protective case on your MacBooks immediately after purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.