Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
Hi,

I switched my domain/email hosting to SiteGround and I'm liking it so far. Anyone else using it?

Cheers
Dave

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I don't use shared hosting anymore after getting my VPS, but there are some things you can do to have a better experience with any of them though.

- Separate service provider for domain registration.

This is like the idea of buying your unlocked phone from Apple directly and putting your phone number on something like Google Voice so you can switch between providers at a whim. If your domain is registered at Porkbun or similar, you can change the nameservers to a new provider and you're up at a new provider in minutes.

- Use Cloudflare (or competitors) to protect yourself from attacks

Cloudflare offers free DDoS protection that also stops bad IPs. It gives direct control of the security, DNS, stats, and more.

- Offsite backups under your direct control (not relying on the service provider)

Check https://slickdeals.net/ for deals on a portable HDDs or reliable Cloud backup services around holidays. These can give you a good start unless you have a massive amount of data. Having multiple copies of your data is the best way to ensure you have copies of it when you need it. This is also a good idea for your Mac backups too

- Third party website monitoring for downtime/website changes

This will alert you to any downtime from the provider and any problems with the website that cause it to show 500 Internal Server Error or even hacks. UptimeRobot and other free options are the best place to start

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
Yes, I'm liking it so far, so much better, easier, and the tech support is great. My last last provider was 123-reg, I advise any Mac/POP User to get away from them, their support for Mac/POP is totally crap

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
I don't use shared hosting anymore after getting my VPS, but there are some things you can do to have a better experience with any of them though.

- Separate service provider for domain registration.

This is like the idea of buying your unlocked phone from Apple directly and putting your phone number on something like Google Voice so you can switch between providers at a whim. If your domain is registered at Porkbun or similar, you can change the nameservers to a new provider and you're up at a new provider in minutes.

- Use Cloudflare (or competitors) to protect yourself from attacks

Cloudflare offers free DDoS protection that also stops bad IPs. It gives direct control of the security, DNS, stats, and more.

- Offsite backups under your direct control (not relying on the service provider)

Check https://slickdeals.net/ for deals on a portable HDDs or reliable Cloud backup services around holidays. These can give you a good start unless you have a massive amount of data. Having multiple copies of your data is the best way to ensure you have copies of it when you need it. This is also a good idea for your Mac backups too

- Third party website monitoring for downtime/website changes

This will alert you to any downtime from the provider and any problems with the website that cause it to show 500 Internal Server Error or even hacks. UptimeRobot and other free options are the best place to start
Thanks I have just signed up for a year but I will bear it in mind

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
SiteGround is a popular name but never had the chance to try it out. I am a big fan of Namecheap, most like it live support.

Just avoid Godaddy! High price tag with poor support.

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
It's working great for me so far! I was using 123-reg until they dropped support for POP without telling anyone, just one day nothing works! Was a nightmare for about 4/5 hours until I managed to get it transferred.....

MonsterUniverse

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2015
Hi,

I switched my domain/email hosting to SiteGround and I'm liking it so far. Anyone else using it?

Cheers
Dave
I used them in the past, great service but I left them because their renewal price is super expensive. Finally, I moved to Asphostportal and so far I'm happy with these guys. Price far affordable than Siteground.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.