Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkweeBop

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
SO. Continuing the saga of just wanting to have customized folder icons in my Dock for important folders, I've granted full disk access to some scripted apps I've created to open up these folders in my dock (Downloads, Documents, Desktop), but I still get the infamous warning:

downloadz script app.jpg

Interestingly: if I deny access via this dialogue, it STILL opens! [head desk]

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
How did you make these scripted apps? What language? Tools? OS version?

As I recall, if you edit (change) an app or command-line tool that was previously granted any access permissions, then those permissions are effectively revoked, and have to be regranted. This is done for security reasons.

SkweeBop

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
I just used AppleScript in the Script Editor to export an app
-----------------

tell application "Finder"

activate

make new Finder window to POSIX file "//Users/Username/Documents/"

end tell
-------------

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
You could try to reset the Full Disk permissions and grant them again.
From Terminal
Code:
sudo tccutil reset SystemPolicyAllFiles

SkweeBop

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
I think if you disable SIP (system integrity protection), most file access requests will go away.
yeaahhh...I have considered this, but I have heard that even if I temporarily disable in order to adjust some folder icons, they revert once I've turned it back on. I feel like disabling SIP is kind of a nuclear option

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
but I have heard that even if I temporarily disable in order to adjust some folder icons, they revert once I've turned it back on.

yes, the warnings will probably return if you re-enable SIP. my SIP is simply always disabled as it must be disabled to restore the normal appearance of Finder (namely, the actual icons in the sidebar as well as the real color labels).

Reactions: gilby101

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I have considered this, but I have heard that even if I temporarily disable in order to adjust some folder icons, they revert once I've turned it back on. I feel like disabling SIP is kind of a nuclear option"

One of THE FIRST THINGS I do with a new Mac or new OS install is DISABLE SIP -- and then NEVER TURN IT BACK ON AGAIN. All shouting is intentional.

Macs ran fine without this for decades.
As do my Macs today.

Reactions: gilby101 and zevrix

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
You do lose at least two things

No iPhone or iPad apps

Safari won't play Netflix in 4k

It's bs but there it is

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.