Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alpine today announced the launch of its latest CarPlay receiver, the iLX-107. While Alpine has released several CarPlay receivers in the past, and, the iLX-107 is unique because it is the first aftermarket CarPlay receiver that comes equipped with support for wireless connectivity.

The iLX-107 features a 7-inch VGA display with a capacitive touch screen, a shallow, mech-less body that allows it to fit into most vehicles, support for a range of accessories, and integration with steering wheel controls and a rear view camera.

alpinewirelesscarplay-800x800.jpg

According to Alpine, connecting an iPhone to the iLX-107 is simple, with just a few setup steps involved. The system uses 5GHz WiFi to connect to an iPhone when in the car.
The iLX-107 gives you the luxury of simply getting and going. It allows you to seamlessly access your iPhone on your vehicle's touchscreen without having to connect a cable every time you get in. Set up is as easy as pairing the wireless Apple CarPlay unit from your iPhone or simply connecting the lightning cable for the first time. Once you go through the extremely easy initial set up, the iLX-107 will automatically connect to the most frequently paired iPhone each time the vehicle is started. The connection "just works" and allows you to get in the car and go without having to stop to take your phone out of your purse or pocket.
Wireless CarPlay functionality was first introduced in 2015, but no wireless infotainment system was available until late 2016, when it was added to the 2017 BMW 5 Series Sedan. Most CarPlay systems, both native and aftermarket, require users to connect an iPhone to a vehicle using a Lightning cable that plugs into a standard USB port.

Alpine is pricing the iLX-107 at $900, making it one of the company's more expensive receivers. It is available starting today at dealers across the country, with Alpine offering a tool on its website to locate a dealer that can install the system.

Article Link: Alpine Debuts First Aftermarket Wireless CarPlay Receiver

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
My brand new Jeep Compass has CarPlay and I don't think it is wireless CarPlay. I've tried to figure it out, but nothing seems to indicate that is, or isn't.

Either way, I don't see much practical purpose in it. There isn't much reason for the phone not to be charging while in the car. I get in, plug it in, and put it on my magnetic vent mount. CarPlay takes over from there.

I suppose down the line if there is a Magnetic-Vent-Mount-With-Induction-Charging for iPhone X, that might make me wish there was indeed a wireless CarPlay option in my vehicle. Until then, no.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Forgive my simple question but I read the article and checked out Alpines website and I don't see what I'm looking for.

Does this new alpine deck have a DVD player? My current truck has the DVD option on with the factory deck. My kids watch DVDs and I would like to keep that.

icrude

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
Forgive my simple question but I read the article and checked out Alpines website and I don't see what I'm looking for.

Does this new alpine deck have a DVD player? My current truck has the DVD option on with the factory deck. My kids watch DVDs and I would like to keep that.

99% chance this does not have a DVD player.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I've used a few CarPlay systems, and must say, they're not very stable. Systems just turn off (blank screen), causes lag on my phone screen (used as a passenger), and sometimes requires the entire car to be powered down to get it working again.

Reactions: itsjordieduh

macs4nw

macrumors 601
The name Alpine has always been synonymous with high performance aftermarket in-dash units, but haven't heard much of them lately, no doubt due to car makers' efforts to thwart these units in favor of their own usually inferior electronics which are integrated into, and part of the the entire dash cluster.

Does the DIN chassis standard still even exist?

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
So only four months late. I'm glad it's arrived but I'm also not super excited about this particular model. Alpine has skinnied this down to *JUST* Car Play and zero other features. I'd like a head unit that has everything including wireless Car Play. I'll hold out hope that Pioneer provides a wireless unit (although given how much trouble Alpine had delivering maybe no one else will take the plunge) otherwise my next vehicle will have it from the factory.
[doublepost=1498754661][/doublepost]

No. Spinning a disc to convey data is very twentieth century though :p

Reactions: jagooch

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
So only four months late. I'm glad it's arrived but I'm also not super excited about this particular model. Alpine has skinnied this down to *JUST* Car Play and zero other features. I'd like a head unit that has everything including wireless Car Play. I'll hold out hope that Pioneer provides a wireless unit (although given how much trouble Alpine had delivering maybe no one else will take the plunge) otherwise my next vehicle will have it from the factory.
[doublepost=1498754661][/doublepost]

No. Spinning a disc to convey data is very twentieth century though :p

You'll have to wait until next year for Pioneer. They've already released their 2017 headunits and won't announce new ones until CES 2018.

I've been a Pioneer fan in the past but they've simply stopped supporting their products almost as soon as they're released. I purchased the AppRadio 3 when it first came out and 3 months later they stopped offering any new firmware to fix issues with future versions of iOS or Android. Getting support wasn't an option as they simply don't respond to support tickets opened on their site and phone support always acts as if they have no information and no one there can help. It's pretty sad.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
My brand new Jeep Compass has CarPlay and I don't think it is wireless CarPlay. I've tried to figure it out, but nothing seems to indicate that is, or isn't.

Either way, I don't see much practical purpose in it. There isn't much reason for the phone not to be charging while in the car. I get in, plug it in, and put it on my magnetic vent mount. CarPlay takes over from there.

I suppose down the line if there is a Magnetic-Vent-Mount-With-Induction-Charging for iPhone X, that might make me wish there was indeed a wireless CarPlay option in my vehicle. Until then, no.

I'm pretty sure Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge/etc have not put out any vehicles with wireless CarPlay yet.

While wireless CarPlay isn't a dealbreaker for me I can see how it would be nice. I wouldn't always want to plug my phone in every time I get into my car for a 5-15 minute drive. It isn't going to charge much in that time, and I'm sure even CarPlay is not going to drain the battery much in that short of time. But, it would be nice to still be able to continue listen to the playlist/podcast I was listening to etc.

For trips longer than 15-30 minutes then I would definitely be plugging my phone in if I was planning on using CarPlay, even if I had wireless available.

Mechless means it does not contain a mechanical disk drive, so no DVD or CD.

TDPHunter

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2007
Orlando, FL
I just don't know how they can justify the price. I can pay $900 on technology that can offer me so much more value. Heck, I can get an iPhone for cheaper! Can someone help me understand?

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
DVDs in 2017? isn't netflix easier?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Netflix is much easier and we do have three iPads with unlimited data. I just don't like having things in my truck that do not work. Like having the fold down factory DVD screen in the overhead that would no longer work. When I resell the truck I'd have to say… oh, sorry that "feature" is now just for "looks". It no longer works. I know it seems silly but I just don't like changing things unless I can remove the non functioning parts.
[doublepost=1498756636][/doublepost]
I'm pretty sure Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge/etc have not put out any vehicles with wireless CarPlay yet.

While wireless CarPlay isn't a dealbreaker for me I can see how it would be nice. I wouldn't always want to plug my phone in every time I get into my car for a 5-15 minute drive. It isn't going to charge much in that time, and I'm sure even CarPlay is not going to drain the battery much in that short of time. But, it would be nice to still be able to continue listen to the playlist/podcast I was listening to etc.

For trips longer than 15-30 minutes then I would definitely be plugging my phone in if I was planning on using CarPlay, even if I had wireless available.

Mechless means it does not contain a mechanical disk drive, so no DVD or CD.
Thank you for your reply. My understanding of car stereo decks is very limited and you've taught me something new today. Thanks again.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I just don't know how they can justify the price. I can pay $900 on technology that can offer me so much more value. Heck, I can get an iPhone for cheaper! Can someone help me understand?

Supply and demand. Not to mention compare $900 for this, versus a $2000+ option to get CarPlay built into your new car you are looking at (most don't come with CarPlay standard), or $20,000+ to buy a new car rather than just upgrading the stereo in your old car.

Back around 2003 or 2004 I paid almost this much for a double din Kenwood stereo that only did DVD and CD. I had to buy a $200 add on components to gain bluetooth cell phone (still doesn't do bluetooth for music), and another $300 add on for GPS. Aftermarket car audio is expensive stuff. Always has been and always will be.

Reactions: jagooch

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
You could get an iPad mini LTE and over 4 years of airtime for that price. Just leave it plugged into your car's existing audio input, mount it if you want to use it for maps and stuff.

Reactions: TDPHunter

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Thanks for the reply. Yes, Netflix is much easier and we do have three iPads with unlimited data. I just don't like having things in my truck that do not work. Like having the fold down factory DVD screen in the overhead that would no longer work. When I resell the truck I'd have to say… oh, sorry that "feature" is now just for "looks". It no longer works. I know it seems silly but I just don't like changing things unless I can remove the non functioning parts.
[doublepost=1498756636][/doublepost]
Thank you for your reply. My understanding of car stereo decks is very limited and you've taught me something new today. Thanks again.

I know on some vehicles you can buy aftermarket parts to make an aftermarket head unit work with the built in video screens. However, without knowing what vehicle you have I do not know if there is one that would work for you. I also do not know if CarPlay head units allow you to output video to them at all. Does anyone know if you can play a video on your phone/iPad to a CarPlay head unit? I assume that it won't work to display the video on the dashboard, but would it work with secondary screens? My guess is that the TV app, and other video apps aren't allowed to work at all. It would be nice if you could load up your iPad/iPhone with movies and play them to the screens built into your car/listen to them over the car stereo. They should be able to do that and just not display anything on the screen that is built into the dashboard.

TechGeek76

Suspended
Jul 18, 2016

Per Crutchfield, who has this thing at 699, says no CD :

Alpine iLX-107
Digital media receiver with wireless Apple CarPlay™ (does not play CDs)

Reactions: RevTEG

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I've used a few CarPlay systems, and must say, they're not very stable. Systems just turn off (blank screen), causes lag on my phone screen (used as a passenger), and sometimes requires the entire car to be powered down to get it working again.
I have not had any issues like that while using CarPlay with Sync3. The only problem I have been having is the systems likes to randomly start playing audio several minutes after I start the car.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
You'll have to wait until next year for Pioneer. They've already released their 2017 headunits and won't announce new ones until CES 2018.

I've been a Pioneer fan in the past but they've simply stopped supporting their products almost as soon as they're released. I purchased the AppRadio 3 when it first came out and 3 months later they stopped offering any new firmware to fix issues with future versions of iOS or Android. Getting support wasn't an option as they simply don't respond to support tickets opened on their site and phone support always acts as if they have no information and no one there can help. It's pretty sad.

I'll have it OEM in one vehicle come fall but so far the other vehicle manufacturers I buy haven't announced support for it. Here's hoping there are some more announcements out of CES 2018 so I can have the same experience in all vehicles.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Does anyone know if there's a CarPlay deck available which will allow me to have my audiobook/podcast on the deck, and Waze open on my phone simultaneously? Or vise versa? Apparently this isn't as easy as it sounds.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.