Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
Apple should really update the Mini for Apple Silicon. It was designed for hot Intel desktop chips that required line power and a cooling fan and a CD ROM drive that are now ancient history.

There is no longer any clock speed boost, so why does it still plug in to the wall? The thick power cord catches the edge of the desk and makes it risky to turn it to access ports on the back without accidentally pulling the cord out and crashing the computer. Your costly heavy external UPS doesn’t protect you. It can’t even be moved without powering it off. Those are bad frustrating limitations.

The M chips and Mac OS have advanced battery management that we pay for, but it goes to waste.

How much would it cost to add a little battery? They could give us a few sizes to choose from, if we wanted all day battery, or just a few minutes of UPS to protect against unplugging and provide for graceful shutdown.

Taking out the internal power supply and fans would also cut down weight and reduce heat and provide space for battery. It would be smaller and cooler and quieter. It would use the same power brick and USB C cable as MacBook.

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
Unlike the MacBooks, the Mini has no integrated keyboard, mouse, or screen. It's intended to remain stationary connected to peripherals. Giving it a battery won't make it portable, it's just one more part to fail. If you want portability, get one of the many MacBook options.
Did you read my post before replying? I didn’t say that I wanted portability, just a built in UPS.

I don’t want an integrated keyboard, mouse or screen. Those things not only double the price and the size and weight, they make it worse at passive cooling, leading to throttling. (But it would be cool if it had a small iPod Touch screen on top for basic operations)

I want to use it plugged in to a big display (that also charges the Mini), and nicer keyboard and mouse. And plugged into peripherals. It would usually be plugged in to peripherals too.

I also want a MacBook that is cheap and light and cool and not connected to peripherals, that can connect to the Mini via AirPlay.

And as to “one more part to fail,” it would also have one less part to fail (the internal power supply) so that’s a wash. (You should have voted for the third option, of taking the battery out of MacBooks, if you think batteries are so bad)

DaveEcc

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2022
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I'll admit I skimmed your post, as you really buried the lede. You should have started off saying you wanted an integrated UPS instead of just saying you wanted a battery and listing everything wrong with having a power cable, and even downplaying the help a UPS would give due to the power cable... but then it turns our you still want a power cable, you just want the UPS moved internally.

I'm not anti-battery. Removing it from the MacBook is insane. Having such an option really didn't help your case, and encourages people to stop reading before you got to your point.

With the battery the internal power supply would still need to exist, so it is still one more part to fail. Or two, the battery and the charging circuitry. Perhaps the circuitry to auto switch between power and battery makes three. I've actually had a M1 MBP die due to the power delivery system, so in my mind, it's the weak-point in the system.

As for your actual idea. Nope. Still don't like it. UPS batteries are known to fail over time (ask any large corporation). You don't want them integrated into the computers, making replacing or servicing them more work. Apple is also not known for making user serviceable batteries, or hot-swappable batteries, both of which you get in any competent UPS... and a UPS works for multiple devices. What's the benefit of your Mini remaining on so you can shut down safely if your screen has no power in order to do so? Powered hubs, or enclosures would also suddenly disconnect. No, having the UPS as a separate part you can buy with the capabilities you need still seems the best option.

We've been using computers with power cables for 50 years, and I've not really heard of people having trouble accidentally unplugging them. I've not used a mini in a decade, so I'm not sure how easily they unplug, but if the power cable connection is as flimsy as you're suggesting, then I'm all for making that connection more secure... perhaps add a clip like ethernet cables.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have been using minis for about 20 years, and NEVER had problems with accidentally unplugging anything. But, I have always had the back panel turned to one side (usually the right side.) When I had an optical drive, I simple left that area clear for inserting/ejecting a disc. I have used various types of cord control over the years, and usually have no problem with keeping those cords out of the way. Internal battery in a mini for a UPS? No, thanks. I would still need an actual UPS for the screen. UPS without the display would leave the mini literally headless, right?

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
It’s not literally putting an actual UPS in the mini. UPSes operate at line voltage. They plug into the wall and have to output 120 volts at very high wattage, so are big and heavy and expensive. MacBooks and iPad batteries operate at 5 volts I think. And are charged with a USB.C cable at much lower wattage and voltage plugged into a brick that plugs into the wall. We don’t call laptop batteries UPSes but that’s what they are in practice. You don’t need a UPS for a laptop.

But yes I would still use my UPS for the display since I already own it, but it’s not really necessary. If display loses power just wait for it to come back on. Plus there already are battery powered screens, in MacBooks and iPads, and maybe Apple is close to making those 27”. For now though, large screens still need to be plugged in.

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2024
Sounds like you need to just buy a macbook. That comes with a built in UPS that lasts several hours. And a monitor which is charged from the same computer!

I actually run a 14" MBP and a Studio Display exactly because of this. I tether my MBP to the phone if the power goes out. Total redundancy. Due to my job and low MTTR requirements, if the MBP fails, I turn around and use the spare one.

As for the mini itself, the internal PSU is a pretty boring 12V SMPS. You can run the thing off 12V directly if you want no problems at all. But I'll let you work out what switching converter topology and charge controllers you need to provide a half decent 12V buck/boost/charger supply at a bunch of amps with an internal lithium pack. Not as easy as it looks believe me (ex EE).

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
“switching converter topology?” Use the same as in the MacBook Pro. Well, it wouldn’t have to power a screen so design it specially for the Mini’s requirements (which should support two big monitors and supply some USB power for peripherals.

A MacBook only supports one external monitor. That matters for a recording studio. Running a studio off a laptop makes the session feel amateur even if you know the CPU is as fast as a desktop. It just seems breakable and delicate and throttled because of the awkward thin form factor. And have you ever tried use a macbook on the couch when it’s connected to monitors and peripherals? It’s not comfortable.

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
To get the M3 Pro chip in a MacBook costs $2500 and I won’t do it, there are too many problems and impracticals with putting all that into a laptop.

I propose three new products:
$1000 M3 Pro Mac Mini with battery
$1000 on a 27” AppleTV display
$500 on M3 MacBook Air

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
The Mini is keeping the current chassis because it's a popular choice for colocation, and those racks are built around the 2010+ design.
It will be even more popular when it is smaller and cooler and has built in UPS. They can design a new lighter rack that fits more machines, takes up less space and doesn’t need UPS and 120 V. It’s been 14 years come on take a step into the future, Apple Silicon is 4 years old already.

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
It’s a neat idea, but I don’t think Apple wiill go for it—it’s too niche, and the mini is also supposed to be very cheap.
it won’t be niche when it replaces the iMac (along with a new 27” smart display). And how much do you think it would raise the price to add a battery? Maybe $5 for a small battery to protect against accidental unplugging and allow moving room to room, and maybe $50 for an optional all day battery.

Allen_Wentz

Suspended
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Unlike the MacBooks, the Mini has no integrated keyboard, mouse, or screen. It's intended to remain stationary connected to peripherals. Giving it a battery won't make it portable, it's just one more part to fail. If you want portability, get one of the many MacBook options.
Wrong. A battery gives built-in UPS, which is huge value add to Apple's cheapest desktop box (with controller already on board the M4 chip). Most folks may have lived with perfect power for decades, but global warming means the world will see more blackouts and brownouts

OnlyADuck

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2021
It’s not literally putting an actual UPS in the mini. UPSes operate at line voltage. They plug into the wall and have to output 120 volts at very high wattage, so are big and heavy and expensive. MacBooks and iPad batteries operate at 5 volts I think. And are charged with a USB.C cable at much lower wattage and voltage plugged into a brick that plugs into the wall. We don’t call laptop batteries UPSes but that’s what they are in practice. You don’t need a UPS for a laptop.

But yes I would still use my UPS for the display since I already own it, but it’s not really necessary. If display loses power just wait for it to come back on. Plus there already are battery powered screens, in MacBooks and iPads, and maybe Apple is close to making those 27”. For now though, large screens still need to be plugged in.
It is literally putting a UPS in the mini…

Reactions: locovaca and seek3r

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
What good does a battery serve in a Mac mini? It's not like it's a portable computer, it need to be tethered to a desk for a display and peripherals. What you're describing is solved by laptops for 99.999% of people.

I could see it being practical to power it over USB C from a display the same way the laptops work, but there's no reason to put a battery in a desktop computer. If you're tripping over the cord, just manage your cables better.

Vega20

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2022
At this point Apple could cram the Mac Mini into an Apple TV chassis and have plenty of thermal room to spare. The Intel chassis is completely overkill. Any old lipo battery would do the trick, although it's utterly pointless especially with the M1 Macbook Air so cheap on the used market.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

OnlyADuck

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2021
Does a phone have a UPS in it? UPSes provide 120V power to plug desktops into.
No, a phone is mobile, battery operated device, like a laptop. They run off a battery. Thank goodness UPSs don't provide 120v in my country—in any case, generically they are uninterruptible power sources, they provide automated backup power when the input power source fails.

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
No, a phone is mobile, battery operated device, like a laptop. They run off a battery. Thank goodness UPSs don't provide 120v in my country—in any case, generically they are uninterruptible power sources, they provide automated backup power when the input power source fails.
Well that’s what I mean by it’s not a literal UPS that provides line level power, it is a laptop battery just like in a MacBook. DaveEccs seemed to think it would be a UPS battery, not a laptop battery. I called a “built in UPS” to get people to understand the benefit of putting a laptop battery in the Mini. You don’t need a UPS, and you can take it anywhere and use it anywhere.

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
No. Waste of money, keep Mac Mini costs low and utterly useless from the environment perspective. Discarding batteries, mining for batteries is already a nightmare. Learn to plug the mac-mini or invest in good wiring.
Ah another vote for taking batteries out of laptops too. Save money and the environment. Just get extension cord.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.