Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boosted98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
My newest A1181 Macbook still has a display issue after replacing the inverter cable. Before replacing the cable, the computer turned on, but the display flashed quickly (less than a second) and went black. I also got a solid white power light, rather than it turning off after the display comes on like it normally would. I did, however, hear the usual startup chime. What led me to replace the inverter cable was checking the display with a flashlight and seeing the flashing folder. I checked the resistance of the individual wires on the inverter cable and determined there was a short in at least one, showing ~3 ohms.
Now when I press the power button, the display flashes very quickly (a little quicker than before), but doesn't display anything at all. Checking with a light revealed nothing. The white power light is still glowing solid still, but there is no chime.
I removed the keyboard again just to check over all connections, and everything looked fine. I don't think any wires were being pinched in the hinges, I was careful to route them as they were.
RAM in installed, HDD is connected.
I tried to reset PRAM, but the computer didn't even turn off. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue.

But my question is... is there anything that I could have screwed up? I'm pretty sure I put everything back together right, I've torn down quite a few of these A1181s. I connected the inverter cable to the board as it was and reassembled.
I guess it's possible the inverter board itself is faulty, but being that I'm not getting ANY display now, I think it's probably an issue with the logic board. Is there something I'm missing, or anything to check?

zemdem

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2024
Hello - just found this post, not sure anyone is still reading this after several years. I have the same issue with the laptop powering on to a solid white light, fan and HDD spinning but no display and no chime. I was planning on changing the LCD thinking it's a faulty LCD but not sure yet whether it will solve the issue or not. did you eventually solve the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.