Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TSMC will begin production of 3nm chips for Apple by the end of 2022, according to a report this week from Taiwan's Commercial Times. A separate report from the publication claimed that TSMC will begin mass production of 3nm chips in September.

M2-Pro-and-Max-Feature.jpg

The report, citing industry insiders, claims that the M2 Pro chip may be the first to use TSMC's advanced 3nm process. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman previously claimed that Apple plans to use the M2 Pro chip in the next 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models and a high-end Mac mini, which could be announced later this year or in the first half of next year.

Apple's A17 Bionic chip for next year's iPhone 15 Pro models and the M3 chip, suitable for future MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro models, will also be manufactured based on TSMC's 3nm process, according to the Commercial Times.

DigiTimes also previously reported that TSMC would begin volume production of 3nm chips for Apple in the second half of 2022, including the M2 Pro chip.

Apple transitioning from TSMC's 5nm process to its 3nm process would naturally result in faster performance and improved power efficiency for future Macs and iPhones, which could contribute to longer battery life. The high-end Mac mini and the Mac Pro tower are the only current Macs that have yet to switch over to Apple silicon chips.

Article Link: 3nm M2 Pro Chip for MacBook Pro Reportedly Entering Production Later This Year

Last edited:
Reactions: Mity and schneeland

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If the chips are going into production late this year that seems to support possibly a first quarter launch of new MBP's in 2023.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No no, some user here, said to forget any 3nm until later next year 2023
I think even the M2 Max will be under 3nm, not just the M2 pro

TSMC CEO said not to expect revenue from 3nm until 2023, which means it won’t ship to customers until then. The wafer cycle time is more than 3 months, so even if TSMC started today, they wouldn’t be able to ship packaged and tested chips until next year.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I wanted that for so long that I eventually gave up. Waiting for Mac Mini M2 Pro/Max and will update my screen.

30" ACD and 17" MBP and 2008 Mac Pro was their best value/machine they had.

Now everything is faster (of course) but super expensive and value is not there. (screen, Mac Pro etc.)

Miss those days although now its more exciting.

Bring back the 17" MacBook Pro!

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
If the chips are going into production late this year that seems to support possibly a first quarter launch of new MBP's in 2023.
Read again. Even though the title says "Later this year" they literally say September. Could be ready for late October/early November launch.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Sounds like M2 Pro will be a significant upgrade from M1 Pro unlike M2 vs. M1.
M2 is better than M1 in everyway. So dont expect a bigger jump
M2 Pro will be not so much because M1 pro already have hardware encoders pro res etc
I dont see any significant cpu gain,maybe 10%, and gpu over 35% not a chance

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.