Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A higher-end iMac with a mini-LED 32-inch display will come out in 2025, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Kuo does not specify, but this machine could be positioned as an "iMac Pro" to replace the 2017 model that Apple discontinued two years ago.

iMac-Pro-2022-27-and-24-iMac.jpg

There have been multiple rumors of a larger iMac over the last couple of years, but the information has been confused with standalone display options and products that Apple ultimately shelved, leading to some confusion over if and when we would see a larger iMac option. The 27-inch iMac was also nixed in 2022.

After the iMac Pro was discontinued, Apple replaced it with the Mac Studio and its matching 27-inch Studio Display, and there has been no sign of a larger iMac since then. It sounds like that is set to change in 2025, with Apple using the same mini-LED technology that has been introduced in the more expensive Pro Display XDR.

At 32 inches, a larger iMac would offer the same dimensions as the 6K Pro Display XDR, which Apple sells for $5,000. As for the design, we could perhaps see slimmer bezels and a machine that is ultimately modeled after the Studio Display, with Apple eliminating the chin, but rumors are not clear on this point.

Article Link: 32-Inch iMac With Mini-LED Display Rumored to Launch in 2025

Last edited:

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
My usual take: don’t buy a very good display that is forever stuck with a good but non-upgradable and non-repairable computer. Get a Mac mini or studio and a good monitor.
Or get an iMac if your company is paying for it and its future replacement.

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
How do these compare with 27". It seems like it would be slighly too big for my use case (I always sit about 18-24" from my monitor). It would be awesome for my Strava setup @ 42-48" from the monitor, but I wouldn't get it just for that.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Important to recall the pricing of iMac Pro... which was substantially higher than the iMac 27" everyone recalls with such fondness. Note how this article makes reference of Pro Display XDR, providing further hints at higher pricing than ASD pricing. How is that Pro Display priced again? And it's 32", right? (both rhetorical)

In short: if you want an iMac "bigger", better be saving up big now. How much? If you think Vpro is high priced, better brace yourself before you look up the former "starting at..." price for iMac Pro at only 27 inches...

full

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have been a long time fan of the iMac, and still own a G3, G4, and many Intel iMacs, but I will most likely not be purchasing another one.

Apple should bring back Target Display Mode for the iMacs, so once the performance no longer meets the needs of the user, the display can still be used for another Mac.

I wonder how many iMacs with perfectly working, beautiful displays are thrown away or recycled because the user needs something faster?

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
My usual take: don’t buy a very good display that is forever stuck with a good but non-upgradable and non-repairable computer. Get a Mac mini or studio and a good monitor.
If Apple wasnt a scumbag company they'd do the right thing and at least let users have the option of using the computer as a display only.

Too much to ask for, Apparently.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Wish they’d bring back target display. Would immediately add more life to this computer

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
How do these compare with 27". It seems like it would be slighly too big for my use case (I always sit about 18-24" from my monitor). It would be awesome for my Strava setup @ 42-48" from the monitor, but I wouldn't get it just for that.
I use a 32 as my main display with a pair of 27s flanking, I could never go back to 27 as my main display, too small! 32 seems about perfect for desktop use to me now, I just wish the higher res ones would drop in price. 6k is currently the sweet spot for 32” and scaling to practical QHD, but they’re still super expensive. My current display is UHD and to get the same scaling you’d have to run it at a practical 1080p, which is not super usable to me. When 6k 32” displays come down in price I’ll jump in a heartbeat

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
If Apple wasnt a scumbag company they'd do the right thing and at least let users have the option of using the computer as a display only.

Too much to ask for, Apparently.
They did it for some of the Late 2009 to Early 2024 iMacs with Target Display Mode.

Starting with the 4K and 5K iMacs, the feature was removed, apparently because of a technical limitation of the higher resolution displays and the TB2 bandwidth, but TB3 did not have this technical limitation and Apple didn't have any excuse not to bring it back, other than it might hurt their bottom line.

So many iMacs trashed and recycled when there is plenty of life left in them as a display.

It is amazing how Apple cares so much for the environment, and uses the environment as an excuse for anti-consumer decisions, but only when those decisions seem to boost their profits.

TheLunaPark

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2019
England
I have been a long time fan of the iMac, and still own a G3, G4, and many Intel iMacs, but I will most likely not be purchasing another one.

Apple should bring back Target Display Mode for the iMacs, so once the performance no longer meets the needs of the user, the display can still be used for another Mac.

I wonder how many iMacs with perfectly working, beautiful displays are thrown away or recycled because the user needs something faster?
Indeed. Yet people still buy Apple’s environmental beliefs bollocks.

dbc34

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Agree. I'm still on an M1 Mac mini and studio display. I'll move to m3 pro or whatever but won't have to upgrade my display.

DavidSchaub

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2016
...with Apple using the same mini-LED technology that has been introduced in the more expensive Pro Display XDR

Since when did the Pro Display XDR use mini-LED?

The kicker here, is that this iMac sounds like it will start at around $5000?

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
iMac no longer makes sense any more with Apple silicon. Mac mini is a lot more powerful than before, getting a Mac mini with a display is a better choice. Or get the Mac Studio if you need more power.

At least you can reuse your display when you upgrade your computer…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.