Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today extended its Keyboard Service Program to all MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models equipped with any generation of its butterfly mechanism keyboard, not long after apologizing over the issues.

macbookairkeyboard.jpg

This means 2018 MacBook Air, 2018 MacBook Pro, or just-announced 2019 MacBook Pro models that experience keyboard issues such as sticky or inconsistently responding keys now qualify for free repairs up to four years after the original purchase date worldwide, regardless of warranty status.

Eligible Models
  • MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)
    MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)
    MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017)
    MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)
To address the underlying issues, Apple said it has changed the material in the 2019 MacBook Pro keyboard's butterfly mechanism to "substantially reduce problems that some users have seen," according to The Loop.

The new keyboard design on the 2019 MacBook Pro is still classified as "third generation" like the 2018 MacBook Pro and 2018 MacBook Air. Owners of the 2018 MacBook Pro and 2018 MacBook Air can have their keyboards replaced with ones that have the new materials during repair, according to The Verge.

To initiate a keyboard repair, visit the Get Support page on Apple's website to book a Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider appointment.

Article Link: 2018 and Newer MacBook Pro and MacBook Air Now Eligible for Apple's Keyboard Service Program

Last edited:

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
When my keyboard sticks i just mash the key repeatedly and wipe it with damp cloth. That seems to unstick this crappy keyboard design.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
So new materials for existing 2018 MacBooks, same design for gen 1 and 2 keyboards (which of course doesn't solve the issue).

Guess we'll have to wait and see how the 'new materials' hold up, but it sounds like it could resolve the issue knowing that these keyboards break not only from dust, but also when using in clamshell mode on a desk. The latter may be caused by heat, which could be what they tried to resolve here.

Reactions: Cobalt50

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
This definitely sparks confidence in the durability of these keyboards. "Sarcasm"
I don’t understand?

They admit there is a problem, explain that they’ve changed materials used, extended the service program and will even swap a 2018 model to use the same new material as the 2019 model if yours needs repairs.

How does that not inspire confidence that (a) they’ll look after you long after the warranty runs out, and (b) will try to prevent reoccurrence by using the newer parts.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
This means 2018 MacBook Air, 2018 MacBook Pro, or just-announced 2019 MacBook Pro models that experience keyboard issues such as sticky or inconsistently responding keys now qualify for free repairs up to four years after the original purchase date worldwide, regardless of warranty status

Oh I'm going to save this, just to remember in case I run into any problems years down the line. :D

Reactions: aamoren3 and jasnw

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
I don’t understand?

They admit there is a problem, explain that they’ve changed materials used, extended the service program and will even swap a 2018 model to use the same new material as the 2019 model if yours needs repairs.

How does that not inspire confidence that (a) they’ll look after you long after the warranty runs out, and (b) will try to prevent reoccurrence by using the newer parts.

When I bought the first MacBook to feature the updated butterfly keyboard (gold one) back in '15, they kept blaming me for damaging the keyboard and wanted me (and other customers, I assume) to pay an extra $500-something to get it fixed -- when our computers were just 2-3 months old.

Apple ended apologizing to me down the line and updated me to a MacBook Pro 2016 model, whose keyboard equally sucked, oh well, I still like Apple.

Honestly, I would not have been mad had Apple owned up to their error and refunded me on the spot or simply fixed my keyboard, since the device they sold me was a POS and they knew it. I get that it was gen 1, and I truly loved the butterfly keyboard then, but if you're shipping hardware to consumers with known errors, own up to them.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I guess us 1st and 2nd generation keyboard owners are SOL. :(

EDIT: The headline is misleading. Reading the Keyboard Service Program page, it lists ALL generations of MacBooks and MacBook Pros with the butterfly keyboard are eligible.

Last edited:

Schlaefer

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
I don’t understand?

Can't wait for 2020 replacement program to strengthen my confidence even further! Nothing speaks confidence like half a decade of yearly replacement programs for the same part.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
It's the fact the 2019 models that customers don't even have yet are included in the repair program, how can anyone have confidence in the new keyboard (4th Generation) if Apple doesn't.

They are classing it as 3rd gen still but if they have changed the material the switch is made from, it's 4th gen.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
It's the fact the 2019 models that customers don't even have yet are included in the repair program, how can anyone have confidence in the new keyboard (4th Generation) if Apple doesn't.

They are classing it as 3rd gen still but if they have changed the material the switch is made from, it's 4th gen.

I’d suggest it’s a preventative measure, to know that issues will be fixed immediately if it happens.

If they didn’t include it in the program would you believe them any more if they said it was “fixed”?

Reactions: Ener Ji

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I’d suggest it’s a preventative measure, to know that issues will be fixed immediately if it happens.

If they didn’t include it in the program would you believe them any more if they said it was “fixed”?
Yes... because it would show that Apple is confident that they resolved the issue. But what they've said is, "should significantly reduce", indicating that they themselves aren't confident that this issue (that only affects a small handful of people) is finally and completely resolved.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Hence including it doesn’t negatively affect your perception and potentially saves some time if any customers are still affected.

Make what whatever excuses you want for them, it shows a lack of confidence in their own product remains. Instead of doing something sensible such as redesigning the thing, they roll out another processor update and throw yet another slight change in the keyboard to the guinea pigs (customers) to see if it works any better.

The reality is they are not saying it is fixed, just reduces the issue, hopefully. So they know it continues to be a problem that is going to affect people, but hell, we are Apple, people will buy whatever we tell them.

Oh well, as long as Apple can't hear you complain over the sound their cash register is making...

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Sounds like a 2nd attempt at not quite fixing the problem. But to properly solve it would need a new chassis design.

Queue incoming threads about problems with "new material" keyboards ... in 3...2...1

Last edited:
Reactions: clauzzz203

RyawesomeU13

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
All these issues I read about on the newer MacBooks makes me hope my late 2013 15" MacBook pro has lots of life left in it, as it's been so reliable and a great laptop. Part of me wants to upgrade because I like newer technology and stuff but damn, I don't have much confidence in the newer laptops based on how many people have had issues (I'm sure there's some people that have no problems as well). If mine dies anytime soon I'll perhaps look for another up to 2015 MacBook pro 15.... Come on apple, all the other products I own have been great, iPads, watch, iPhones, etc.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Will 2016 model year MBP's also get the new keyboard design when repaired?

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Why is Apple doing this?! Especially for free!?

Based on many members here, the keyboard issue is a tiny percentage and is not a design fault. So why would a manufacturer do free repairs and its not because of their bad design?!

Apple needs to rethink this. They make a product that does not have a design fault and should not replace customers keyboards for free.

/sarcasm.

Forgot to add in...Apple stock is doing great so that means their keyword is not design fault. They had record revenues so their keyboards are perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.