Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zqbobs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
On 2017 iMac with MacOS 13.4.1. I have purchased 3 16TB HDDs in the past year - first one was an "open box" Seagate IronWolf that would not appear in MacOS or initialize with Disk Utility. Tried various SATA connections and a PC - no luck. Second one was "new" from Amazon (Toshiba X300 Performance), initialized as expected and has worked fine for 3 months. Third and current one (Toshiba X300 Performance) was "new" from Amazon and it will not initialize. Given my experience with the first drive, I'm reluctant to go through all the hoops I did then to try to get this one to work.

I have heard there can be issues with "large" drives from a NAS that won't initialize by MacOS as a DAS drive. If that's my problem, it would imply that the drive was used, but all indications (packaging,condition) are that the drive is new. Any suggestions for apps or trickery to get it to work on my Mac?

zqbobs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Never mind - I got it to appear in Disk Utility, erase and initialize. Not sure what happened or how, but it is working!

Reactions: Saturn007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.