Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced and launched the long-awaited 16-inch MacBook Pro, which has now replaced the previous 15-inch MacBook Pro models in the line of Apple notebooks. Alongside the announcement, a handful of YouTubers and tech bloggers have begun sharing their first impressions of the 16-inch MacBook Pro, after having used it for a few hours.

Apple_16-inch-MacBook-Pro_111319_big.jpg.large_.jpg

The two big updates to the new notebook include its bigger 16-inch Retina display, and the updated scissor switch keyboard that ditches the butterfly keyboard of the previous 15-inch MacBook Pro. Essentially every first impression applauded Apple for the new keyboard, particularly in regards to the new physical Escape key (instead of a virtual one on the Touch Bar).

Below we've rounded up a few first impressions videos for the 16-inch MacBook Pro.

Marques Brownlee:

iJustine:

The Verge:

UrAvgConsumer:

Engadget:

Rene Ritchie:

CNET:

The 16-inch MacBook Pro also features AMD Radeon Pro 5000M graphics options, GDDR6 video memory, a larger 100Wh battery for about an hour more battery than the previous generation, a redesigned six-speaker sound system, and upgraded microphones.

The new model starts at $2,399 in the United States and includes another $2,799 option, both of which can be individually configured with various internal upgrade options. For more information on the new 16-inch MacBook Pro, be sure to read our announcement post for the notebook.

Article Link: 16-Inch MacBook Pro First Impressions Praise Return of Scissor Switch Keyboard and Larger Retina Display

Last edited:

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
Great to see the positive reviews! Can’t wait to see the [hopefully] eventual 14” that’s released as a successor to the 13” MBP. My 2016 will be replaced the day its 4 year keyboard warranty expires.

Reactions: trellus

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Great to see the positive reviews! Can’t wait to see the [hopefully] eventual 14” that’s released as a successor to the 13” MBP. My 2016 will be replaced the day its 4 year keyboard warranty expires.
It’s possible that the 13” MBP will remain a 13” display, with the overall dimensions shrinking, instead of growing somewhat to accommodate a 14” display. But it could very well get the MBP 15—>16” treatment and become 14”.

Regardless of what happens with the 13” MacBook Pro, I expect the MacBook Air will remain 13”.

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
The function keys said they were going down to the corner store to pick up a pack of cigarettes… I know that they'll be back! They'll be back… some day!
[automerge]1573674100[/automerge]
Damn, what's with the videos of those "influencers" on YouTube unboxing a new computer and acting like contestants on "The Price is Right" from the 70s? It's a computer. It's very nice, and it's what you expect for a very expensive machine. Calm down.

cypressc

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Austin, TX
Seriously, why link to iJustine? She is all about being cute and smiley. She could hate the new Macbook, but she is only going to say stuff like "OMG, this is sooo cool!" and show it off with cool camera angles and editing.

Last edited by a moderator:

trellus

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2007
Plano, TX
I'm up for a laptop upgrade at the company early next year, and this is almost certainly going to be it -- will upgrade the base model from 16GB to 32GB and leave the rest as is. It will be an upgrade from my 2012 Retina MBP 15" (Quad-Core i7, 16GB RAM), except for losing a real HDMI port, SD card, and digital optical out -- all of which I use, but I'll deal. :)

Also, I'm very glad they've not put the butterfly keyboard in -- that's one reason I clung to this older MBP, I didn't care for that keyboard. Felt weird to me, though I'm sure if I had needed to, I would have acclimated.

I actually like MagSafe and the "real" ports, but I always knew it was inevitable I'd have to deal with their loss, so.... the consolation will be a bigger, better screen, definitely lighter than my current ol' 2012 MBP and higher performance. I'll take the tradoffs!

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The thing which struck me most is the massive jump in value over the model it replaces. It's almost incomparably better, finally ditching the derisory 256GB SSD, finally offering a stock 1TB model, finally ditching Polaris (and for something more powerful than the Vega 20 in the base model!), more reasonable upgrade pricing and hopefully a screen that makes the 1920x1200 resolution a bit more comfortable to use.

CanyonLizard

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
Chicago
We’ll have to wait for a couple years until Jony’s designs have worked their way through the pipeline. But since Ive will be working with Apple on an ongoing basis, it may be 10 or 20 years before we see designs not directed, influenced or approved by Ive. Hard to say.

I think the optional monitor stand was his crowning achievement.

simplysly

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
My 2019 MBP 15 inch keyboard and machine is serving me just fine. Haven't missed a beat with it. I'm going to wait. Have always used an apple keyboard with my laptops and magic mouse 2 so never really use the keyboard unless i'm travelling. I am 50/50 about the 16. Anyone else in the same boat? I feel like Apple are just playing catch up, and are giving everyone at the party a free shot due to being late.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I don't know what it is about the screen on the 16", but with the sharp edges being pushed into the rounded corners it looks. . . off to me. Maybe it's the symmetry.

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Seriously, why link to iJustine? She is all about being cute and smiley. She could hate the new Macbook, but she is only going to say stuff like "OMG, this is sooo cool!" and show it off with cool camera angles and editing.

Agreed. Joke at best and not a real reviewer, just "trying" to be cute. other reviews were so much better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dozer_Zaibatsu

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
$3K -- ouch, but hey its 2020. Any word on the thermals when the CPU and GPU are both pushed hard?

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
How come everyone else gets a hands on with the new 16" MBP except MR? This is the first place to stop at for new Mac info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.