Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is relying on different OLED display suppliers for the upcoming 11-inch and 13-inch iPad Pro models, with Samsung exclusively producing 11-inch panels and LG making the 13-inch panels.

iPad-Pro-OLED-Feature-2.jpg

According to The Elec, Samsung has cemented its position as the sole supplier of the initial quantity of OLED displays for the 11-inch model, or the first batch to be mass produced for the launch of the next-generation iPad Pro.

LG was originally scheduled to also begin producing the 11-inch OLED panel, but as things stand the two panel companies are currently producing only one type of OLED display each. Initial production at both suppliers started last month.

Industry insiders suggest the division of labor is due to changes in Apple's demand outlook for OLED iPad Pro models, as well as the unstable production capacity and yield of the two suppliers, which are both still getting to grips with Apple's requirement for new panel technologies. Apple is rumored to be aiming for "unrivaled" image quality, as well as a design that cuts down on the thickness and weight of the ‌iPad‌ display.

According to the Korean-language report, the situation may change after production of the initial quantity, depending on fluctuations in production yield and possible adjustments to Apple's demand forecast for the new OLED iPad Pro models. Apple's shipments forecast for the year have reportedly decreased to 8 million units, down from the 10 million units that were projected for 2024 last year.

OLED displays are a first for the ‌iPad‌ lineup. Apple has been using OLED technology for the iPhone and the Apple Watch, but larger OLED screens are more expensive. Compared to LED or mini-LED, OLED brings deeper blacks and more vivid colors. The OLED ‌iPad Pro‌ models could be much thinner than the current LED versions thanks to the new display technology. The larger 12.9-inch ‌iPad Pro‌, for example, could be more than 1mm thinner.

Along with new displays, the ‌iPad Pro‌ models are expected to be powered by Apple's latest M3 chip, which debuted in new MacBook Pro models last year. The M3 is built on 3-nanometer technology, and should bring a notable graphics improvement over the M2 chip that is currently used in the ‌iPad Pro‌.
The new displays are expected to come to the iPad Pro as soon as March 2024. For everything else that we are expecting for the OLED iPad Pro, check out our dedicated guide.

Article Link: 11-Inch and 13-Inch OLED iPad Pro Displays Made by Different Suppliers

Last edited:
Reactions: SFjohn

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Price hikes incoming too. Best hope the leaks of 1500 starting price aren't true. Still be nice if Apple made a Pro OS for it too. The iPad also doesn't need to be thinner or lighter! It's a 11" plus device!

iPads will sell less and less as time goes on, because at the end of the day they do nothing different to an iPhone just with a bigger screen, the extra power of them is wasted as only a select few use it, and people replace iPhones a lot more often so get newer tech and innovation in them more often.

As many in this site say, the iPad has great hardware that's utterly underutilised due to the software.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
Price hikes incoming too. Best hope the leaks of 1500 starting price aren't true. Still be nice if Apple made a Pro OS for it too. The iPad also doesn't need to be thinner or lighter! It's a 11" plus device!

iPads will sell less and less as time goes on, because at the end of the day they do nothing different to an iPhone just with a bigger screen, the extra power of them is wasted as only a select few use it, and people replace iPhones a lot more often so get newer tech and innovation in them more often.

As many in this site say, the iPad has great hardware that's utterly underutilised due to the software.
Point of view I guess, there is little I cannot do with an iPad and could not do many thing with the iPhone only.
its a great device, not for everyone, but Apple knows that.

Also I think they don’t expect people to upgrade the iPad as fast as they do iPhones so it’s definitely accounted for.

I do most of my stuff on iPad, from creative to consumptions,

As an iPad 11 m2 I would not upgrade for a while as this device is great, for me it’s a work device, wouldn’t upgrade a work device yearly unless there was a need for it.

Reactions: pdoherty

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
was really hoping for 14”, but I’ll settle for an LG 13”.

can’t freaking wait. don’t want to spend more than about $1,250 total though!

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Point of view I guess, there is little I cannot do with an iPad and could not do many thing with the iPhone only.
its a great device, not for everyone, but Apple knows that.

Also I think they don’t expect people to upgrade the iPad as fast as they do iPhones so it’s definitely accounted for.

I do most of my stuff on iPad, from creative to consumptions,

As an iPad 11 m2 I would not upgrade for a while as this device is great, for me it’s a work device, wouldn’t upgrade a work device yearly unless there was a need for it.

You just highlighted the main issue, it does the same as a phone. A computer is much more capable then a phone, partly due to its screen size but mostly due to more power and a full OS to take advantage of it.
The iPad has the bigger screen and more power, but it is still limited to just being a bigger phone. I love the iPad really do, I have an 11" M1 Pro. But I just wish it was allowed to be more capable then it is.

Reactions: Student of Life

chetzar

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
Screen bump to 14” (for reading comics) and/or the ability to run desktop apps are the only thing getting me to upgrade my iPad Pro at this point.

Surface Pro is much more versatile than the iPad these days.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
the unstable production capacity and yield of the two suppliers, which are both still getting to grips with Apple's requirement for new panel technologies.
I guess I’ll wait for a few months after release before buying one.

• Wow
Reactions: Eldaerenth Faexidor

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Surface Pro is much more versatile than the iPad these days.
As much as I dislike iPads, the Surface Pro is a hot mess as well. First one I tried blue screened out of the box then once I finally got it running I realized the version I got had fans so that was a thing. Additionally, it is terrible in its tablet UI and unless you get the accessories bundled those things are expensive as well. Only reason MS still sells them relatively well is because the Surface Pro line has the latest tech while the Surface Laptop is always 1-2 steps behind.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Boo for OLED.

Also, if two companies are making OLED, then one of them won't have two stack tandem OLED cause only LG makes it.

Reactions: entropi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.