Apple Watch Series 10 & Ultra 3 will be faster, but not an anniversary redesign

Posted:
in Apple Watch

After initial rumors popped out of the supply chain predicting a blockbuster 10-year anniversary Apple Watch redesign, as the release date grows closer, hopes of that are dimming.

Smartwatch with a white band displaying time, heart rate, caloric burn, pace, and distance. Background features colorful abstract shapes.
Depending on the rumor, the Apple Watch Series 10 could be thicker or thinner.

The company originally announced the Apple Watch as a product in October of 2014, but the final version didn't ship until April of 2015. Bloomberg reports that both the expected Series 10 and new Ultra 3 models will get an entirely new chip, but when the devices will arrive remains unclear.

Apple could follow its own previous strategy, announcing the new models sometime near the end of 2024, but with a spring of 2025 arrival date.

Neither model is expected to gain features stemming from the Apple Intelligence suite. That said, the new models could lay the groundwork for some level of AI enhancement in the future, according to Sunday's report.

The next Apple Watch models are expected to be thinner, but retain the same basic design, as we've already reported and modeled. The two existing sizes are still rumored to get bigger screens, with the larger model getting one roughly the same size as that of the Apple Watch Ultra.

The Apple Watch Ultra 3 model is not expected to see any significant design changes from the present model. The Ultra models were first introduced in 2022, so a redesign may wait until after 2025.

Other rumors have suggested that the new models could get better displays. Apple could also use the opportunity of the anniversary to change the way bands connect to the Watch, losing compatibility with older bands.

Rumor Score: Likely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 941member
    Imagine that. The oft cited and quoted "supply chain" got it 100% totally wrong. Which is pretty funny considering that the predicted "blockbuster 10-year anniversary Apple Watch redesign" would have required a ton of new parts which--you would think!--the "supply chain" would be the first to know about since it would be relied upon by Apple to supply them.. In other words, if any product was going to be easy for the supply chain to predict accurately, it should be a complete redesign because of the necessary orders for all new parts that it would require. Keep this in mind for the inevitable next predictions from the supply chain. 

By the way: nice job, Apple Insider, on your mock-up of the new larger screen Apple Watch. I love the look of the active display area going past the curved edge of the crystal. I hope Apple actually follows this design.  I've always loved this look, even on a phone, but it presents obvious accidental touch problems on a phone since it's held in-hand. No such problems on a watch! I'd also like to see the bezels get thinner and the display a big larger on the Ultra 3. 
    edited July 7 chasmDAalseththt
  • Reply 2 of 6
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,426member
    Tha Apple Watch has a great design. I remember when it was still relatively rare, I was wearing my stainless steel model 0 with the Milanese loop in a jewelry store. It caught the eye of a saleswoman who looked it over carefully and gave an approving nod. 

It’s a design to tweak carefully, because it’s already very good. 
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ransonranson Posts: 78member
    charlesn said:
    Imagine that. The oft cited and quoted "supply chain" got it 100% totally wrong. 
    ??????   The new watches haven't been announced yet! Only a select few people at Apple actually know if anyone's predictions might be right or wrong. So maybe wait until the new watches are actually announced before Monday morning quarterbacking on how the predictions panned out?
    edited July 8
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Apple needs to find a way to get satellite emergency messaging into the Apple Watch. 

Places that you need satellite (like hiking/ remote areas), you not be able to get to your phone because it was dropped or you can’t reach it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,415member
    Apple needs to find a way to get satellite emergency messaging into the Apple Watch. 

Places that you need satellite (like hiking/ remote areas), you not be able to get to your phone because it was dropped or you can’t reach it.
    If it's that important to you and you're fond of remote locations, pony up for the Ultra. There's a reason why its bigger.

Problem solved. Or wait until the Series 10 (Series X?) comes out and see if they add it then. They certainly can't retroactively add it to existing Apple Watches that don't have it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thttht Posts: 5,542member
    Faster as in faster CPUs? Faster GPUs? Faster NPUs? Faster networking? Faster charging?

This is the generation I’ll be getting. Don’t think my Series 4 can last another year.